Petrol S - resonance on acceleration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Guy

Post by Guy »

pmg wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:51 pm Does this mean shaker only present if "sports exhaust "fitted?
Not sure. In the parts list it's shown as part of the I2HB 'Interior Sound Measures (shaker)' package. The only three parts listed as part of this package are the 'pulse sender engine noises', 'control unit, pulse sender engine noises', and the support bracket. Sports exhaust components are listed as a separate package.

If I have time I'll have a look at mine (no sports exhaust), but it's a diesel so there could be all manner of differences!

EDIT: This thread suggests that it comes as part of the sports exhaust, as least in the US. There's some good pictures and an interesting video on page 3: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/the-porsche-pse-install-guide.92297/

davidatbrookside

Post by davidatbrookside »

I have asked Porsche Cambridge to give me a better explanation of this "Shaker" device and if it is fitted and active on my 2019 Macan S, with no PSE fitted, I will update when they get back to me.
Guy

Post by Guy »

davidatbrookside wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm I have asked Porsche Cambridge to give me a better explanation of this "Shaker" device and if it is fitted and active on my 2019 Macan S, with no PSE fitted, I will update when they get back to me.
That'll be an interesting response, especially as they have effectively already said it's got one!
andreas

Post by andreas »

I started this thread. My petrol S has had the "resonance" problem from new, and I was told it's a "characteristic" of the car. I think it's a flaw which Porsche can't be bothered to investigate properly and tune out. Sure, if you stick the car in Sport mode it is less obvious, but we don't all charge about in Sport mode.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

davidatbrookside wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:18 pm Well after a few weeks chasing the Dealer I have finally got a response from them and I requested the actual reply from Porsche to the Technician Mark, this is as follows:

“Hi Mark, this is a characteristic. It is felt under acceleration/ High load, V6 Petrol only between 2,000 to 3,000rpm. This is a combination of Engine/Exhaust characteristic to give the car a more sporty nature combined with a shaker which is bolted to the firewall behind the dashboard which also adds to this characteristic. After testing several Macan II 3.0 V6 they all have this same characteristic, this is to confirm this is not a fault, no action is required.”

What do you all think, is this an explanation or simply a fob off, I think the latter, but it seems they have no intention of doing anything about is.
davidatbrookside wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm I have asked Porsche Cambridge to give me a better explanation of this "Shaker" device and if it is fitted and active on my 2019 Macan S, with no PSE fitted, I will update when they get back to me.

Well, I'm guessing he sold the car as he never came back to say if the problem was solved.

But reading from the top of page 4, does anyone else have the same issue which was solved by disconnecting the 'shaker' (soundaktor)?
I somehow doubt this is the cause of the vibration.

Other threads elsewhere suggest mid-exhaust connector bracket failures:
See: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/vibr ... st-2733212
And: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/crac ... st-2094353

cracked plate.jpg

Also, reading various threads when Googling "Macan vibration when accelerating" this is a widespread issue, as shown in this thread alone.
Other suggestions are:

- Exhaust heat shield.
- Aircon pipes (page 1 this thread) - bound together to fix, but did it work?
- Automatic timing adjustment (page 3 this thread) per PEC instructor guess.
- Drivetrain issue, propshaft bearings/CV joints/balance weights.
- Exhaust fouling under acceleration.
- And of course "it's a characteristic of the car. They all do this sir..."