Petrol S - resonance on acceleration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
andreas

Post by andreas »

I've had my new Macan petrol S for 3 months now. At around 30-50mph, if I accelerate gently there is a vibration which feels as if it's coming from the front offside wheel area. The vibration is short-lived, and goes as speed increases. I find it unpleasant; it's like a very mild version of the vibration you get when the tyres stray on to the rumble strip at the edge of the road.

The car has been road-tested by the OPC service people, who say that it's "resonance" when accelerating from low revs. If the car is driven in Sport mode, forcing the revs higher, it doesn't occur.

Has anyone else experienced this with a petrol S? I said to the OPC that I was surprised nobody else had reported the issue, and they said they didn't see many petrol versions of the S.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Hello Andreas

I have a petrol S, not exactly the same symptoms as you but I have the so called resonance but at idle not while driving.

The car has been back to OPC Leeds 3 times, and further complaints to Porsche UK about the issue and service I’ve received..

Porsche Leeds, has stopped calling back and also replying to my emails now. The last correspondence (email) I had said the noise you hear is resonance.. ‘and rest assured it’s safe and we hope you continue to enjoy your Macan’. Shocking customer service tbh. This email came from the Head of servicing

Good luck!
Rah

Post by Rah »

I have the same “resonance” problem. I have a new Macan S petrol, I have only driven 400 miles. At 1300 to 1400 revs in any gear under load there is a harshness, a vibration that can be felt by the driver and heard by the driver and the passenger. Lee at Porsche Exeter says it is resonance, he has come across it before in some S’s and there is nothing they can do about it. Just “tough luck” ! In practice, 400 miles only, I find I can quickly accelerate through the rough bit most of the time but it is very disappointing.
Curious2

Post by Curious2 »

Ditto: My petrol S is two weeks old with 1200 miles and presents exactly the same resonance between 1200 / 1400 revs. Really annoying and am expecting a solution when I decide to take the car back to the OPC. Just waiting a while to see if any more faults surface before taking the car in.
Current 2017. 911 C2
Current 2018Macan S
Gone: 2015 981 Cayman
Macman

Post by Macman »

I get this as well, so it’s probably a feature of the exhaust system. Best way to get rid of it is floor the accelerator, then the engine’s growl drowns it out :lol: . Fortunately it doesn’t bother me.

I’ve got sports exhaust, do people with non-sports exhaust get it as well?
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
andreas

Post by andreas »

Good to hear it's not just mine. I can't believe the Porsche engineers would have signed off a system with this harsh resonance, so it can't affect all petrol S models. My OPC is taking the car in on 5 June for investigation; I'm away in Spain for 10 days shortly afterwards, so they can have a couple of weeks to fiddle with it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Macman wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am I get this as well, so it’s probably a feature of the exhaust system. Best way to get rid of it is floor the accelerator, then the engine’s growl drowns it out :lol: . Fortunately it doesn’t bother me.

I’ve got sports exhaust, do people with non-sports exhaust get it as well?
Mine has standard exhaust. I don't think it's exhaust related, I think it's a driveline issue.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Are you sure the resonance is from outside and is not the plastic tray under the steering column? The tray touches the metal bulkhead near the brake pedal. Some double-sided tape cured it for me.
andreas

Post by andreas »

B737NGWS wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 pm Are you sure the resonance is from outside and is not the plastic tray under the steering column? The tray touches the metal bulkhead near the brake pedal. Some double-sided tape cured it for me.
Sounds more serious than a bit of plastic.
PaulJohn

Post by PaulJohn »

I picked up my new petrol S today and noticed it within 5 minutes of driving from the dealers. Last time I had a noise like this was on a 1998 BMW 520i. After a year or revisiting the dealer 6 or 7 times the fault was identified as air con pipes oscillating at certain engine speeds. The fix was to bind them together with some tape. Ultimately, until Porsche find the fault we are all stuck with it.

Does anyone with a petrol Macan S NOT have this issue?

Is this issue present on a non-S?

Perhaps a small wireless bluetooth microphone with a decibel measuring app could be used to find the approximate location. How do Porsche go about trying to diagnose the problem?