Transmission oil leak

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

nsm3 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am Tewkesbury and Solihull are equidistant from me, but I've used Solihull since 2006, never tried Tewkesbury. Are they any good, courtesy cars provided etc?
Fine so far. I had to take it in for a new windscreen when only a month old. I had their Panamera for the day which was a great car. Not needed any other cars from them yet.

r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

So the Macan DS had had a new gearbox fitted under warranty at Solihull OPC.
it took 2 1/5 days by which time i had gone back to work so they delivered it back for me.

Took it out this evening for a run, doesnt feel any different of course :lol:

On a side not after approx 12 miles and on the M5 i had a warning pop up for “Power Steering Failure” bloody hell did it take some effort to steer it!!!

Pulled onto forecourt of Shell and filled the car up and after starting it the system appears to have reset.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Good job the power steering failed on a motorway rather than a country lane. It sounds like you would have ended up in a hedge. Glad the PDK replacement is fine.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm Good job the power steering failed on a motorway rather than a country lane. It sounds like you would have ended up in a hedge. Glad the PDK replacement is fine.
Your not wrong!
I have to say slow speed manoeuvres are incredibly hard with this issue.

I took the car out today and it failed again. After i pulled over and turned ignition on/off with 30 second delay, all was fine for a couple of mile then it hapened again.

I had an appointment 25 miles from home and i was nearly there so continued as i knew the Macan would be left for a couple of hours.
Low & behold it waa fine, up until about 8 miles into the journey home and it failed again. Coaxed it home, parked it on the drive and called both Solihull OPC and Porsche asisst.
Car is being collected tomorrow.

So far this year and in 1000 miles, two new front tyres, new gearbox and now this :roll:

Other than that, i still think the Macan is a great motor

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
happy days

Post by happy days »

r1flyguy wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:36 pm

So far this year and in 1000 miles, two new front tyres, new gearbox and now this :roll:
Ouch, no luck at all!
Macan S D
718 S
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

You are having a bad time! I wonder if it will be a software issue or hardware. They should be able to replicate it since it keeps happening to you. Let us know.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:40 pm You are having a bad time! I wonder if it will be a software issue or hardware. They should be able to replicate it since it keeps happening to you. Let us know.
Clearly the gods were with me as the recovery truck turned up today (porsche assistance) and yes, the power steering was still failed & even when the delivered it to solihul the service manager called me to say it was still broke when they unloaded it.

Downside is they have had quite a few vehicle recoveries and its looking like early next week before it will be looked at :roll:

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

So, the SD is due its service in a couple of weeks so I thought I would have a look underneath to see what happened to the PDK oil leak. There is certainly quite a lot of oil on the bottom of the box with a 2 areas that have a drip on them. To my mind, that is not good in a 2 year old car and I suspect the PDK needs replacing. Having said this, they might tell me it is a sufficiently small leak that it does not justify replacing the PDK. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it from last year, but there wasn't anything like this much oil there.
Any views on this? Anyone else had anything similar? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1232.jpg

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A dampness is one thing but I'm see drips of fresh oil so unacceptable IMO
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

As far as I can tell there is oil covering the whole of the bottom of the PDK and a couple of drips. It is clearly worse than last year. I suppose that might only be 5mL of oil (or less) leaked over 2 years but I worry that it will get worse.