Another desperate owner with DPF issues

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Guy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 pm ^ Or just go on a long trip every other weekend. Drive a couple of hours on some good roads to a nice hotel, have a nice meal, do some sightseeing. Maybe go abroad. Spend £200-300 on each trip and after a year re-evaluate whether you'd have been better off swapping your SD for a £7k 'loss' and staying at home :D
Well that is one solution!

My take on this is that some DPFs are manufactured faulty. Comparing my driving to the OP, I should be having trouble with my DPF and you probably shouldn't. That applies to others who have had trouble as well. The DPFs are made in such a way to trap soot and I suspect some of them don't have enough patent channels to allow free flowing of exhaust through the filter. So a minimal amount of soot loading causes trouble. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here, but some owners do seem to have a disproportionate amount of trouble.

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm
Guy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 pm ^ Or just go on a long trip every other weekend. Drive a couple of hours on some good roads to a nice hotel, have a nice meal, do some sightseeing. Maybe go abroad. Spend £200-300 on each trip and after a year re-evaluate whether you'd have been better off swapping your SD for a £7k 'loss' and staying at home :D

My take on this is that some DPFs are manufactured faulty. Comparing my driving to the OP, I should be having trouble with my DPF and you probably shouldn't. That applies to others who have had trouble as well. The DPFs are made in such a way to trap soot and I suspect some of them don't have enough patent channels to allow free flowing of exhaust through the filter. So a minimal amount of soot loading causes trouble. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here, but some owners do seem to have a disproportionate amount of trouble.
I think you are correct. The number of forum members that have had serious issues have been fairly limited. It’s noteworthy that issues started after the software was “upgraded” in early/mid 2017.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

It could be the sensors misreading the soot level.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm

It could be the sensors misreading the soot level.
Could be. Either way, I think some of them have a fault somewhere when manufactured. Would probably be solved by changing the DPF and sensors - but that would mean admitting that there is a fault. So unlikely to happen I suspect.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I did 7k miles in my SD in 15 months and mostly in London traffic and short journeys interspersed with long trips in the U.K. and abroad. Thankfully, no DPF issues at all.

I lost nearly £20k selling my car, so for £7k, I’d bite their hand off and get yourself into a face-lifted petrol model if you want to remain in a Macan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Over the last couple of years the instances of DOF issues have not been insignificant.

Yes it seems short journeys are a contributing factor, but it does seem a random occurance, some suffer many do not.

Only a potential SD buyer can weigh up the risk to them.

Those owners with DPF problems are no doubt exasperated that their Macan is one of those where there will always be doubt about the next limp home mode occurance.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

The issues you are having on this thread are exactly the same as the issues we are having with Macan. You shouldn't have to adapt your style of driving to suit the car at any price! It's a ridiculous first World problem making our ownership experience most miserable of late.
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

Has anybody noticed the potential big elephant sitting in the corner of this for-room?
If people are having problems with the diesel particulate filter, what might be the situation when the new emissions regulations arrive in September and petrol cars have a particulate filter?
Presumably they work in the same way?
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

stallturn wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm Has anybody noticed the potential big elephant sitting in the corner of this for-room?
If people are having problems with the diesel particulate filter, what might be the situation when the new emissions regulations arrive in September and petrol cars have a particulate filter?
Presumably they work in the same way?
Gasoline and diesel engines work entirely differently. For GPFs there won't, apparently, be a need to artificially increase the temperature in the exhaust to initiate regeneration. The regen should be entirely passive and work under decelerative conditions. Basically, this will all work on oxygen being forced through the system which, coupled with high temps in the exhaust already, will initiate the regen.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

why not just drop the car into dealer every now and then (have a loaner if need be) and let them run and clear the DPF. A Boxster for a couple of hours can be fun.