just had first service / 20,000 miles

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

ScotMac wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm I am happier getting an annual oil change. I know modern oils are great but 2 years is just a bit long in my opinion.

Pity Porsche charge so much for an oil change :( :(

Maybe get it changes at an independent in between?
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab

MCS

Post by MCS »

A supplement for Radio Equipment - could not find any text in English apart from URLs...

That is reassuring about resetting of oil change indicator back to 19k miles or so. Did not realise you could do an intermediate or maintenance service without an oil and filter change. Interesting point is petrol cars (pre GPF) do have fixed time based servicing (max 20k or 2 years whichever comes soonest). Looks like the DPF/ GPF generation of cars will be more lucrative for dealers to service. Agree re independents doing oil change (but I would do outside warranty period). Ideal if keeping the car a very long time - I am considering doing this.

DME software update AJ07 - yes the latest software update and not the dreaded (WG22?)
Guy

Post by Guy »

MCS wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:48 pm DME software update AJ07 - yes the latest software update and not the dreaded (WG22?)
I had WG22 installed in my car at the first service (9000 miles ago), and have had no ill effects (no DPF warnings, nothing). For me, the new conundrum is whether to have AJ07 installed at the major service in August :?
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Guy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:11 pm
MCS wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:48 pm DME software update AJ07 - yes the latest software update and not the dreaded (WG22?)
I had WG22 installed in my car at the first service (9000 miles ago), and have had no ill effects (no DPF warnings, nothing). For me, the new conundrum is whether to have AJ07 installed at the major service in August :?
Perhaps WG22 never actually got done at the service. Either that or you do plenty of long high speed motorway journeys. Have you noticed passive regens occurring ?
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Guy

Post by Guy »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm
Perhaps WG22 never actually got done at the service. Either that or you do plenty of long high speed motorway journeys. Have you noticed passive regens occurring ?
They entered WG22 into my Maintenance record and stated that they did it, but of course that is not absolute proof. I do plenty of long journeys, but in UK I would never consider them 'high speed' :)

I have never noticed a passive regen occurring; what specifically would I look for?

(EDIT: Meant to say that I have always used Shell V-Power or 'equivalent' premium diesel)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Tim92gts wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:29 pm
ScotMac wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:02 pm I am happier getting an annual oil change. I know modern oils are great but 2 years is just a bit long in my opinion.

Pity Porsche charge so much for an oil change :( :(

Maybe get it changes at an independent in between?
I was thinking about doing it myself.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Guy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:38 pm
mark-yorkshire wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm

They entered WG22 into my Maintenance record and stated that they did it, but of course that is not absolute proof. I do plenty of long journeys, but in UK I would never consider them 'high speed' :)

I have never noticed a passive regen occurring; what specifically would I look for?

(EDIT: Meant to say that I have always used Shell V-Power or 'equivalent' premium diesel)
Wikepedia:
DPF filters go through a regeneration process which removes this soot and lowers the filter pressure. There are three types of regeneration: passive, active, and forced. Passive regeneration takes place normally while driving, when engine load and vehicle drive-cycle create temperatures that are high enough to regenerate the soot buildup on the DPF walls. Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is in use, when low engine load and lower exhaust gas temperatures inhibit the naturally occurring passive regeneration. Sensors upstream and downstream of the DPF (or a differential pressure sensor) provide readings that initiate a metered addition of fuel into the exhaust stream. There are two methods to inject fuel, either downstream injection directly into the exhaust stream, downstream of the turbo, or fuel injection into the engine cylinders on the exhaust stroke. This fuel and exhaust gas mixture passes thru the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) creating temperatures high enough to burn off the accumulated soot. Once the pressure drop across the DPF lowers to a calculated value, the process ends, until the soot accumulation builds up again. This works well for vehicles that drive longer distances with few stops compared to those that perform short trips with many starts and stops. If the filter develops too much pressure then the last type of regeneration must be used - a forced regeneration. This can be accomplished in two ways. The Vehicle operator can initiate the regeneration via a dashboard mounted switch. Various signal interlocks, such as park brake applied, transmission in neutral, engine coolant temperature, and an absence of engine related fault codes are required (vary by OEM and application) for this process to initiate. When the soot accumulation reaches a level that is potentially damaging to the engine or the exhaust system, the solution involves a garage using a computer program to run a regeneration of the DPF manually.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Paul

Post by Paul »

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

Yes I understand what it is. That still doesn't tell me what indications I would get in the cockpit for a passive regen - increased engine noise, vibration, (or as I suspect, nothing!)

I have never had any DPF warning lights.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 pm Yes I understand what it is. That still doesn't tell me what indications I would get in the cockpit for a passive regen - increased engine noise, vibration, (or as I suspect, nothing!)

I have never had any DPF warning lights.
I think “nothing” is probably right. Which is probably half the problem with the DPF concept. The other half of the problem is that there is no easily visible soot load guage to enable a pro-active action from the driver.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465