just had first service / 20,000 miles

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Guy

Post by Guy »

Paul wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:53 pm
Guy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 pm Yes I understand what it is. That still doesn't tell me what indications I would get in the cockpit for a passive regen - increased engine noise, vibration, (or as I suspect, nothing!)

I have never had any DPF warning lights.
I think “nothing” is probably right. Which is probably half the problem with the DPF concept. The other half of the problem is that there is no easily visible soot load guage to enable a pro-active action from the driver.
Thanks - I was just searching and found something in the 'Good to Know' app, referring to Passive regen:

During this cleaning process, which takes a few minutes, there can temporarily be a slight, low-frequency change in the engine noise and brief adaptation of the gearshift behaviour.

But I have never noticed that either!

I agree that a soot gauge would be very useful!!

RAA

Post by RAA »

I am currently driving a Mazda CX-5 diesel SUV (awaiting a new Macan S in March/April). Every so often, I notice that my mpg (shown in 'real time' on the dashboard) drops to less than half what it was before, so I am guessing that's the only sign for when there is a 'regen' going on. If I am on the motorway cruising at a steady, say 60mph and the mpg is showing around 74mpg, it sometimes drops to around 25mpg for ten or fifteen minutes: I think that must be the time when the 'regen' is occurring.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

RAA wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:21 pm I am currently driving a Mazda CX-5 diesel SUV (awaiting a new Macan S in March/April). Every so often, I notice that my mpg (shown in 'real time' on the dashboard) drops to less than half what it was before, so I am guessing that's the only sign for when there is a 'regen' going on. If I am on the motorway cruising at a steady, say 60mph and the mpg is showing around 74mpg, it sometimes drops to around 25mpg for ten or fifteen minutes: I think that must be the time when the 'regen' is occurring.
I think that you would also notice an increase in the engine water and oil temperature
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I have noticed a passive regen occurring. The start/stop stops working and also I think the coasting. Slightly different (lower) engine note and it smells as if something has been burning (it has) when you get out of the car. Subtle things, but I am sure I have noticed them in the past.