25mpg in a 3.0L SD?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Hi everyone

I’m very new on this forum, my Porsche Macan SD is my first Porsche and I’m really enjoying the car. Had it just over a month now and it’s great. Thankyou for all the warm welcomes I’ve had so far.

I have a question regarding fuel consumption. When I checked my PCM today and scrolled through the ‘Car’ section, it says my average fuel consumption is 24.8mpg... How can that be? I thought the minimum that I would be getting in my first diesel car is somewhere in the early 30s. It seems more like a GTS petrol!

Apart from perhaps leaving the Macan in Sport mode (which I don’t do very often) is there any other reason why I may not be achieving the mpg that I expect? As some have suggested, does the type of diesel you fill up with make a huge difference? In my first two trips to the pumps I went to my local Esso garage. But on Saturday I went BP and used their Ultimate fuel.

My Macan is a 65 plate, but has been regularly serviced and drives very well.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Freddy
FreddyB

“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans..” John Lennon

Macan SD 3.0L TDV6, Jet Black, bought 22/12/18

Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Freddy and welcome.

Before anyone else chimes in comparing the accuracy or otherwise of the PCM vs reality (!) yes, I was getting 30 - 35 mpg indicated on my first SD pretty much all the time, with peaks of high ‘30s on a motorway run.

If you’re looking at the MFD after only, say, 15 mins or so, then you will get a lower reading but as the time and miles increase the true figure will show. You can also scroll through 3 different figures including current trip and total overall so that might also be worth fiddling with.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If you are doing mainly city driving 25 mpg might be about right.

On my normal 12 mile commute on A and B roads I easily get 40 + mpg.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

FreddyB123 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:47 pm Hi everyone

I’m very new on this forum, my Porsche Macan SD is my first Porsche and I’m really enjoying the car. Had it just over a month now and it’s great. Thankyou for all the warm welcomes I’ve had so far.

I have a question regarding fuel consumption. When I checked my PCM today and scrolled through the ‘Car’ section, it says my average fuel consumption is 24.8mpg... How can that be? I thought the minimum that I would be getting in my first diesel car is somewhere in the early 30s. It seems more like a GTS petrol!

Apart from perhaps leaving the Macan in Sport mode (which I don’t do very often) is there any other reason why I may not be achieving the mpg that I expect? As some have suggested, does the type of diesel you fill up with make a huge difference? In my first two trips to the pumps I went to my local Esso garage. But on Saturday I went BP and used their Ultimate fuel.

My Macan is a 65 plate, but has been regularly serviced and drives very well.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Freddy
Thought you were based in London? City driving sort of does that! Lol!

If I read out my mpg, and I'm in a petrol S, for London traffic, you'd call 999! :lol:
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi Freddy and welcome

It will depend on where do you do most of your driving (M, A, B, city crawl). Also long or short average trips.

In the current cold weather the diesel will take longer to warm the engine to 90C. So on a short trip it may not be getting to that operating temp.

I get low 30s on short trips, seen 42 on a 200 mile non-stop journey and averaged 36 mpg over 20 months.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ours is currently averaging 38.1mpg with average speeds around 65-70mph.
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

If mostly short trips this is probably right and you also will need to be careful of the DPF which doesnt much like short trips. Diesels are much happier as mile munchers!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of the responses. Yes I live in London and today I was doing city driving, so pretty much crawling around. I’m usually on A roads travelling for a couple hours a day, but haven’t yet checked the mpg after one of those trips. I’ll have a look at the PCM after a longer trip and judging by your comments, I should see a difference. I haven’t owned a diesel before, so was a little surprised to see that, even for a 3.0L, 2 tonne Porsche.

Touch wood I’ve had no issues with DPF - or anything else for that matter - despite my lack of motorways trips. As my Macan was already 3yrs old when I purchased it, I’m hoping any issues have already popped up and been dealt with before my purchase. Or even better, I’ve got a brilliant machine that’ll never have an issue!! :D I’ll be sure to give it a good run when I can every week, to ward off the dreaded DPF light.
FreddyB

“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans..” John Lennon

Macan SD 3.0L TDV6, Jet Black, bought 22/12/18
happy days

Post by happy days »

When you're in the settings menu (the one that shows MPG on the RH clock) press the RH steering wheel button, then scroll over to '2' and that will tell you the figures for all time (unless reset - up to 99.99 hours I believe). That may be more reliable that '1' which is current journey time.

The same can be replicated on the PCM screen by pressing the 'car' button then using the RH rotary knob, scroll across the different screens.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

I had a MFD reading of a 36 mpg average on mixed driving, the most it showed was neigh on 40 mpg.

Reality was that my MFD was 10% high so I only achieved a true 33 mpg during the time I owned my SD.

I did find that around town the engine in Sport mode worked far better, in Comfort mode the engine was sluggish as as the gear changes.

With your SD with its 25 on the MFD its not much different to the 23 mpg that I have showing on my Turbo’s MFD.

Enjoy the forum and your SD.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags