Retrofit PSE

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
rosino

Post by rosino »

I noticed on eBay there seem to be a few original PSE available for sale at decent prices. With the advantage that f you get one fitted you would see a lot more of your money back come resale as you can list it separately.

Anybody ever considered this route ? I have ordered a Macan S without PSE as I found the cost obscene but wouldn’t mind a bit of extra sound...

Paul

Post by Paul »

Hawkeye fitted a genuine system to his SD a while back - pleased him (until he swapped for an Alfa quadrofromagi😂!)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5294&hilit=PSE
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

rosino wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am I noticed on eBay there seem to be a few original PSE available for sale at decent prices. With the advantage that f you get one fitted you would see a lot more of your money back come resale as you can list it separately.

Anybody ever considered this route ? I have ordered a Macan S without PSE as I found the cost obscene but wouldn’t mind a bit of extra sound...
Correct me if my meagre knowledge is a bit askew...

If you haven't ordered it from the factory, you will need to also install the little button on the console right? As far as I'm aware, that is the only activator of the PSE. Can you actually have that button retrofitted too?

In any event, I have heard that the existence of the PPF is the main reason the exhaust is muted. It's like the diesel PSE. The noise seems to be derived by electronics in that model more than anything else.

I would be looking at after market systems (spec Remus or Akrapovic), once they have gotten their heads around the PPF.
rosino

Post by rosino »

Good question. Yes they would retrofit the PSE button too. I think the topic referenced above mentions this.

With other aftermarket exhausts like Remus they can link this to the sport button apparently. Don’t ask me how but that’s what I could make out from various US forums. The wiring is apparently there to do so.

As for the ppf I don’t know what the real impact is of that really is.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

rosino wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:46 pm Good question. Yes they would retrofit the PSE button too. I think the topic referenced above mentions this.

With other aftermarket exhausts like Remus they can link this to the sport button apparently. Don’t ask me how but that’s what I could make out from various US forums. The wiring is apparently there to do so.

As for the ppf I don’t know what the real impact is of that really is.
Am happy to be proven wrong but I thought that the PPF and DPF made PSEs quite a faff to install. The non filtered cars simply have valve actuators, which open and allow the enhanced sound. The filtered cars are more complex and their sound is generally derived through artificially derived noise. You'll see that if you search for aftermarket PSEs for the SD, pretty much nothing exists. I think Supersprint did one which required the removal of the DPF to work but was for "off road" or "track use" only. My point being, PSEs with these new filters are redundant and don't generate the same effect which is probably why your SE steered you away. The 2018 and prior factory ones for the S certainly don't enhance performance but the aftermarket ones add a bit through reduced back pressure. Marginal increase though.

You'll need to be a little careful because the 2019 version almost certainly differs from previous.
rosino

Post by rosino »

Thanks
rosino

Post by rosino »

It’s almost as if the test cars journos drive in Spain were pre production models without the ppf, which some markets will be getting :ugeek:
rosino

Post by rosino »

In the end I just caved in and went for the PSE from factory. Just worried the standard engine was a bit dull sounding without.

I already had Black tips so the difference was not that crazy. All man maths of course.
Stanley246

Post by Stanley246 »

GMAN75 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:57 pm
rosino wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am I noticed on eBay there seem to be a few original PSE available for sale at decent prices. With the advantage that f you get one fitted you would see a lot more of your money back come resale as you can list it separately.

Correct me if my meagre knowledge is a bit askew...

If you haven't ordered it from the factory, you will need to also install the little button on the console right? As far as I'm aware, that is the only activator of the PSE. Can you actually have that button retrofitted too?

In any event, I have heard that the existence of the PPF is the main reason the exhaust is muted. It's like the diesel PSE. The noise seems to be derived by electronics in that model more than anything else.

I would be looking at after market systems (spec Remus or Akrapovic), once they have gotten their heads around the PPF.
As I’ve mentioned in previous post(s), it’s not just the PPF causing the muted exhaust note but the new S engine config, as in Australia due to our high sulphur fuel our Macans are arriving W/O filters and they are quieter than the pre update versions , I’ve optioned PSE and hoping at least it may sound like the old version W/O PSE ....