2019 Macan S hesitations from 3rd to 4th gear

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
saz984

Post by saz984 »

Hi guy,

I got my Macan S yesterday. Very pleased with it but experiencing a strange issue with it.

When flooring the throttle there’s a quite a big jolt in gear change from 3rd to 4th gear. Every other shift is barely noticeable. Has anyone else noticed it or should I take it in to be checked out? This happens in normal driving mode, sport, sport + and with the 20 second boost button.

Car has Sports Chrono, Air Suspension and Torque Vectoring Plus.

I’ve been driving a 2019 Macan 2L with Sports Chrono / Standard Suspension for 4 weeks and hadn’t noticed this issue. Completely smooth gear changes at all speeds.

Thanks

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

saz984 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:44 pm Hi guy,

I got my Macan S yesterday. Very pleased with it but experiencing a strange issue with it.

When flooring the throttle there’s a quite a big jolt in gear change from 3rd to 4th gear. Every other shift is barely noticeable. Has anyone else noticed it or should I take it in to be checked out? This happens in normal driving mode, sport, sport + and with the 20 second boost button.

Car has Sports Chrono, Air Suspension and Torque Vectoring Plus.

I’ve been driving a 2019 Macan 2L with Sports Chrono / Standard Suspension for 4 weeks and hadn’t noticed this issue. Completely smooth gear changes at all speeds.

Thanks
Flooring the throttle! :o Is it a new one? If so you obviously don't believe in running it in! But new or used it certainly shouldn't jolt through any changes. Could be worth taking a technician out.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
saz984

Post by saz984 »

Hmm didn’t know I had to do that! It’s new. 18 miles on it when I picked it up.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Running in procedure in the manual advises to use varied speeds and not exceed 4k rpm.

There is a whole debate (hopefully not to re-opened) about whether or not you should just drive it like you stole it from the day you pick it up!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
VanB

Post by VanB »

Sorry forgot to add - for the first 2k miles
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
saz984

Post by saz984 »

Thanks guys! I shall do that. 2K miles is going to take a while and hard to avoid the temptation.

Is the judder in the gear shift definitely uncharacteristic for a Porsche PDK gear box? Could it just be that the shift is at max torque delivery causing it? It feels like the classic loss of torque when engaging clutch if it was a manual.

Thanks again for the advice.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Does it happen in all engine modes ie comfort, Sport and Sport+ (only applicable if you have Sports Chrono)?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:48 pm Does it happen in all engine modes ie comfort, Sport and Sport+ (only applicable if you have Sports Chrono)?
Hey Col,

Hope your recovery is going well. :)

The post at the start of this thread says that the issue happens in all driving modes. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Jojamie26

Post by Jojamie26 »

Hi new to Forum
Have Macan S diesel great car bought back in February I have the hesitation 3rd to 4th mine is MY17 60,000mls the fault is intermittent but does seem to get worse. Had new transfer box been into dealer demonstrated fault to technician. I am being told it is my driving style. The PDK has had its memory set a number of times. I understand PDK adapts to different driving styles. Except mine it seems, for the record I didn’t buy a Porsche to pootle about!
Any thoughts ?
J
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome Jojamie.

Do you have the Sport setting on at all times? Have you tried driving it in "manual" with the lever in the left plane?

If you're still getting the problem, then I would get the OPC Technician to drive it, with you onboard, to check it out.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver