Engine rattle (Pinking?)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

2015 Macan S Petrol

The last 3-4 weeks my cars developed a rattle. Being an old boy, I can remember when cars used to 'pink' when poor or the wrong fuel was used. This rattle very much sounds like the old fashioned pinking. I do use supermarket fuel as I'm very limited to filling stations local to me, and just use the standard grade not the 'ultimate'.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a case of better fuel? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFEUU4Q4

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I would stick to high octane fuel only Devonian e.g. Shell V power
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
GWL

Post by GWL »

I wouldn't run the car on anything less than 97 or 98 RON (BP Ultimate / Tesco Momentum / Shell V-Power etc). My wife even runs her BMW 116i on 98 RON (recommended by BMW).
I don't know about the "S" but for my Turbo, Porsche recommends 98 RON and it even shows this on a sticker inside the petrol filler flap in the form "98/(95)" which means 98 RON should normally be used, but the car can take 95 RON (normal unleaded) if 98 is unavailable. The performance figures (acceleration, mpg) are determined using 98 RON.
I'd suggest driving a bit further and finding some decent fuel - or at least buy the higher octane fuel at the supermarket if it has it.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Devonian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:50 am 2015 Macan S Petrol

The last 3-4 weeks my cars developed a rattle. Being an old boy, I can remember when cars used to 'pink' when poor or the wrong fuel was used. This rattle very much sounds like the old fashioned pinking. I do use supermarket fuel as I'm very limited to filling stations local to me, and just use the standard grade not the 'ultimate'.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a case of better fuel? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers
The engine management system will prevent the car ‘pinking’ by backing off the ignition advance if it needs to, you won’t notice when it does this. It’s more likely to be something like a loose clip/heat shield/etc. Has been known, so best to get your OPC to check it over. If you can record it and play it back to them it might help, particularly if it’s difficult to reproduce on demand.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I'd agree with Nick here :D . The engine management will totally handle 95 and the performance loss will be minor in everyday motoring the S is not so highly tuned. Many people recommend a 'good' fuel but some times it is not available. When in S Ireland last month I used a petrol additive to help the fuel but I am not really sure if it is just hocus-pocus :? (I was told there is nothing above 95 octane in Ireland - ?)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Agreed with Nick.
You might get one ping if you floor it suddenly, but the EMS will correct it very quickly. If it is continuous pinging then look for lose parts... I hate those annoying rattles.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ferdie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 am :? (I was told there is nothing above 95 octane in Ireland - ?)
What a complete and utter load of bollocks!
Macan S D
718 S
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

happy days wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:51 pm
Ferdie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 am :? (I was told there is nothing above 95 octane in Ireland - ?)
That's good to know in retrospect :lol: --- which stations have it in Southern Ireland, for next time?
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
happy days

Post by happy days »

Most of the motor way stations list a premium fuel as well as the standard. I don't look too closely as I'm on Diesel. Plus the mainstream garages will have premium too.
Macan S D
718 S
wilko

Post by wilko »

happy days wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:51 pm
I drive a few thousand miles a year in Southern Ireland and am yet to see anything other than 95 Ron at any fuel station. Whenever I’ve taken a car requiring 98, I just don’t gun it and fill up before boarding the ferry with 99, and then top up 1/2 tank or so with 95. In most cars that’s been good for 500 miles or more, which covers most of Southern Ireland, and back to the east coast ports.
You can always detour into the north to get 98 if you’re desperate.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R