Transfer box problem, or not...?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Westy

Post by Westy »

Hi all,
So I collected the April 2015 Macan SD with 55k on the clock last Thursday and was really chuffed at finally entering the world of Porsche ownership, however...
Over the weekend I noticed that on full lock the car jolted/bounced/lurched away when I set off (eg when parking) and it feels like a wheel is spinning.
Also seemed to need an excessive amount of revs when pulling off my inclined drive and sometimes 1st to 2nd gear changes were very jumpy.
No, I did not experience this on the test drive, but this was a blast around some country lanes. My error now it seems.
I just found an empty supermarket car park and have done manoeuvring from stopped, left and right which replicates this every time, worse with 'off road' selected.
The obvious question is, is this the dreaded transfer box issue? Or something else - I've read about this Ackermann effect, but surely not all Macan's do this?
Have emailed the supplying dealer to get it looked at, but forewarned is forearmed.
My previous three cars were all Audi's (two quattro and one FWD) with S-tronic and I've never experienced this before!
Thanks.

Guy

Post by Guy »

When mine failed (at 11000 miles) it was more of a jolt between gear changes. It felt like going over a sharp speed bump/kerb when pulling away from rest, and tended to be worse once the car was warmed up. Steering input didn't make much difference.

Your symptoms could be ackerman, but worth getting the dealer to check.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

+1. Macans do suffer from Ackermann, but the effect is impacted by temperature (lower temp, more 'Ackermann'), whether on wet or dry Tarmac (more pronounced in the dry) and tyre manufacturer (anecdotally Michelin better than Pirelli).

Get a tech at an OPC to come out with you.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Westy

Post by Westy »

The tyres are all brand new Continental ContiSport fitted by the dealer.
I've had a response from the dealer.

"The juddering on full lock IS a characteristic of Porsches and is known to us. It only happens on full lock as the wheels are set at cambers to improve on handling. We will of course get it looked at."

Still can't believe it's supposed to be as bad as it is, but let's see what they say.

Thanks.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Just a thought, but I wonder if some of us who have not had this failure on our cars have become paranoid about potential transfer box failure? My 718S on PZeros was absolutely dreadful skitting and hopping across tarmac when reversing or on full lock - and it has no transfer box.

Our Macan sometimes 'lurches' a little bit when setting off, more obvious in reverse, but is perfectly smooth on the go, and I always, always think of box issues when I hear it. We are on 72k now for a 2016 model. I wonder if I was not a frequenter of this forum would I even be aware of it.

I had a 986 which I kept for 11 years. I sold it to a guy with 77k on it and the purchaser asked me about the IMS bearing. Of course I hadn't heard of it so I wasn't worried. No leaks and nothing obvious when the clutch was replaced. Just a thought.
Macan S D
718 S
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

happy days wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:50 pm Just a thought, but I wonder if some of us who have not had this failure on our cars have become paranoid about potential transfer box failure? My 718S on PZeros was absolutely dreadful skitting and hopping across tarmac when reversing or on full lock - and it has no transfer box.
928 is the same, my Land Rover was terrible. It shouldn't be a problem if the designer did his job problem.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Merlin2009

Post by Merlin2009 »

Had Reverse gear issue. Wouldn't reverse. Turned off and then on and didn't fix problem. Got amber light and so could drive. However then sort of got stuck in first gear. Went to 20mph and then jumped from 1st gear to 3rd gear. Now in garage and they ordering new hydraulics unit. Luckily under warranty. Turbo 2016 2nd generation. 13000miles. Had similar issue and took to garage and they ran through the computer and they said no issues. however second time round got on video.....
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

[quote=Westy post_id=189067 time=1574885834 user_id=3429
Also seemed to need an excessive amount of revs when pulling off my inclined drive
[/quote]

I have quite steep driveway also and encounter the same issue, feels like your revving and going nowhere especially when cold.
Westy

Post by Westy »

As an update, the car is currently in the OPC having the transfer box replaced...
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Had mine replaced recently (15k miles). The only symptoms I had, was the lurch from the back, when pulling away with lock on. OPC confirmed the box and swapped it. Thing is, the same symptom was apparent, even as I pulled away from the OPC, post repair, so I'm starting to think it actually is a bit of wheelspin control on these cold, damp roads, with summer tyres on?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S