Undetectable TDI Tuning box

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Andyroo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:24 am Hello all

I’m considering a TDI Tuning box for my SD, but am of course concerned with the risk of losing my OPC warranty. The manufacturer states that removing the box makes it untraceable, but has anyone had any real world experience with it and the dealer, positive or negative? Interested to see people's thoughts on whether it’s worth the risk.
Cannot speak for Porsche but on previous Audi`s and Range Rovers we have easily removed box in about 5 minutes prior to OPC service and reinstated after, there has been no problems, This is what I intend on my GTS when first service is due in April, hope this helps.

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

neilj007 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:23 am Article on TDI website re modifying cars on finance....

https://tdi-tuning.com/news/can-i-modify-my-car-on-a-pcp-hp-or-other-finance-deal
And what if your car is in a bad accident and the insurers/police/finance company get to it first and find the box.

I’ve always been led to believe that the Porsche computer systems are so clever that they do log when a parameter is out and it does flag it up, even if the box has been removed

A friend of mine got caught out with this when trying to sell his 997.2 RS to a dealer

I also pray that people that have these boxes do at least tell their insurers!!

I was caught out with a manufacturer when an old car of mine (twin turbo diesel X5) went in for a service and it came up on their screen in big red letters that the car was a tuned car. The, well regarded, tuner told me it was untraceable.

That was 10 years or so ago now so I would think the tech is far better now to detect this

Finally i wouldn’t put it past a manufacturer to go really digging if they had a big claim impending.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

After everything I’ve read, I’m going to leave it. It’s not worth losing two years of warranty for a bit more power and mpg!
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

The annoying thing is that the cars are built well enough to handle the extra so that bit wouldn’t concern me at all but if there was something that went wrong that was not related to the engine eg driveline, I just expect Porsche to find a way out. Don’t the grumble if you don’t even have N rated tyres on?

I’m not adverse to tuning but I pay the price if it goes wrong. My last lotus was tuned to the limit of the gearbox and needless to say, it went pop, although I do say that was something to do with the last person that drove it in anger - an ex F1 racer - around Spa. Having said that, it was one of the best rides of my life and we were overtaking stuff we shouldn’t have been !!

Annoyingly I forgot to put the camera on!!!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

Tracky wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 am The annoying thing is that the cars are built well enough to handle the extra so that bit wouldn’t concern me at all but if there was something that went wrong that was not related to the engine eg driveline, I just expect Porsche to find a way out. Don’t the grumble if you don’t even have N rated tyres on?

I’m not adverse to tuning but I pay the price if it goes wrong. My last lotus was tuned to the limit of the gearbox and needless to say, it went pop, although I do say that was something to do with the last person that drove it in anger - an ex F1 racer - around Spa. Having said that, it was one of the best rides of my life and we were overtaking stuff we shouldn’t have been !!

Annoyingly I forgot to put the camera on!!!
It is annoying to have the car limited by red tape, but I expect much worse should you get found out come warranty time!

Sounds like that ‘box went out in style
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

If the box under consideration is a piggyback unit, then removing it before taking the vehicle
to the dealer would render it undetectable. These units 'fool' the ECU

If the box provides a flash tune, overwriting the s/w in the ECU, then the fact that the flash count
increments is detectable by the dealer, even if the ECU is returned to factory parameters (in-
crementing the flash count yet again).

:o