Head gasket failure

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Izzyspi

Post by Izzyspi »

Hi All
So, in my 4th month of Macan ownership, and having been delighted with the car at first, the honeymoon period has worn off...
I bought my car privately, a 2016 SD, £15k of extras, 49K miles, for £29k. Had it checked over and all seemed well with it, full OPC history, only serviced in May this year. Didn't bother with a warranty, and decided to self-insure, as I'd done 70k miles in an A7 with the same engine, and I do mainly motorway miles.
Found it quite hesitant to pick up , so had it remapped (same guy who did my last 3 cars) and it's fast as hell when it goes, but still seems a little hesitant to engage, compared to my last few cars - I can floor it, and it can be up to 2 seconds before it picks up and goes. Even in sport mode.
I've also have had to fill it with coolant twice since having it, am on my second slow puncture, and have "transfer box anxiety" all the time.

So, it's been in to the garage today, local Porsche/VAG independent, and they were going to pressure test the coolant, and also change fuel filter to see if that helps the hesitation - I was wondering if this may be caused by a dodgy transfer box, or even is this just the way they drive and I need to adapt?

Anyway, they called this eve, and apparently the coolant leak is due to a head gasket failure. So, they need to do that first. Anyone any experience of this? I'm waiting for a price on it tomorrow, but I'm fearing £1500+..... :?

Not had these problems with any of my last 5 cars, and I do 25k miles a year - 335d, 530d, A7 and Merc C250d. I thought a Porsche would be a step up, but with the transfer box paranoia I've experienced, and now the head gasket, it's been a PITA.....

Let's hope it gets better....any words of sanity / reassurance / sympathy much appreciated!!

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Izzyspi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 pm Hi All
So, in my 4th month of Macan ownership, and having been delighted with the car at first, the honeymoon period has worn off...
I bought my car privately, a 2016 SD, £15k of extras, 49K miles, for £29k. Had it checked over and all seemed well with it, full OPC history, only serviced in May this year. Didn't bother with a warranty, and decided to self-insure, as I'd done 70k miles in an A7 with the same engine, and I do mainly motorway miles.
Found it quite hesitant to pick up , so had it remapped (same guy who did my last 3 cars) and it's fast as hell when it goes, but still seems a little hesitant to engage, compared to my last few cars - I can floor it, and it can be up to 2 seconds before it picks up and goes. Even in sport mode.
I've also have had to fill it with coolant twice since having it, am on my second slow puncture, and have "transfer box anxiety" all the time.

So, it's been in to the garage today, local Porsche/VAG independent, and they were going to pressure test the coolant, and also change fuel filter to see if that helps the hesitation - I was wondering if this may be caused by a dodgy transfer box, or even is this just the way they drive and I need to adapt?

Anyway, they called this eve, and apparently the coolant leak is due to a head gasket failure. So, they need to do that first. Anyone any experience of this? I'm waiting for a price on it tomorrow, but I'm fearing £1500+..... :?

Not had these problems with any of my last 5 cars, and I do 25k miles a year - 335d, 530d, A7 and Merc C250d. I thought a Porsche would be a step up, but with the transfer box paranoia I've experienced, and now the head gasket, it's been a PITA.....

Let's hope it gets better....any words of sanity / reassurance / sympathy much appreciated!!
You've been very unlucky to get a head gasket failure. Any car can suffer this, not just Porsche, but nowadays it's pretty rare.

You've chosen to 'self insure', and it sounds like you bought at a fairly good price. I think that's a reasonable approach and most of the time will work out well but this time, sadly, it's gone wrong for you. Commiserations, and here's hoping it isn't too painful to fix.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I would go to Porsche for diagnosis and repair... authorised dealers have access to resources that independent garages might or will not.

There should be some evidence of sort... and ‘the mothership’ should know about it... defective gasket (unlikely), bolts not torqued to spec (unlikely), overheating (how/why), multiple scenarios.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Paul

Post by Paul »

☹️ unusual to hear of head-gasket failure.

Re the hesitation ( once the repair has been done, which might in itself help) try a PDK reset (search on here for the procedure)

...here...

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8010&hilit=Pdk+reset
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think you've been extremely unfortunate to suffer a head gasket failure and can't remember the last time I heard of one, in my group of friends, in a modern car. Good luck with the repair.

Re the hesitation I think it is probably just a feature of the car - I had the same on my Macan GTS which would hesitate for what seemed like an age pulling out of junctions (even in sport) so your inclination is to push the throttle further and then it takes off like a scared rabbit! I was told it was normal but I couldn't live with it as I felt it was dangerous. Otherwise an awesome car and do occasionally miss it.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate