Tight Manoeuvres

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
POV16

Post by POV16 »

On occasion I put my car on the drive which means a few tight manoeuvres.
Sometimes backwards and forwards a couple of feet at a time.
I find that sometimes I can rev the engine sufficiently and the car doesn't move.
This causes the car to jolt when the gearbox grabs.
This can be quite unnerving.
I find myself left foot braking till the gearbox grabs.
This cant be normal?

My car is still under warranty till April and don't want to miss the opportunity to have it checked.

Wondered if this is something that others have experienced?
Is this the start of something more serious?

CliveH

Post by CliveH »

I had exactly the same issue with the s-tronic gearbox in my Audi S4. This was apparently a fault with the mechatronics unit.

The PDK gearboxes in the Porsches are silky smooth by comparison.

Although they are both dual clutch boxes, I do not know if the PDK version uses a mechatronics controller or something similar.

It is not normal and would hope that it is covered by the warranty; certainly not "wear and tear". I would get it booked in and try to avoid the £180 diagnosis fee that OPCs are now applying, although that is refundable in the event that the warranty covers the fault.

Please keep us posted.
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think this has been raised before (maybe more specifically when manoeuvring up inclines etc)
The PDK is not technically engaged until the revs build with the sensation that the drive does come in quite abruptly. Possibly “normal” but the dealership will advise (make sure you demonstrate it to a technician sat alongside you)

Search the forum for “PDK lurches” or similar search terms......eg

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9024&p=184979&hilit=Pdk+lurch#p184979
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Is your driveway inclined or flat ? I have quite a steep driveway and tend to find this happens occasionally but never happens any where else so just put it down to steepness of our drive.
POV16

Post by POV16 »

Thanks for the replies people.

For info the driveway is completely flat.

Shocked reading previous posts on this issue.
For such a brand as Porsche I’m disappointed.

Never had issues with other brand gearboxes.
Had car a year now and really love it, but this could be a real deal breaker for me in the future, if this isn’t resolved.

Will take to garage ASAP to be checked out.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If the drive is completely flat then the car should "creep" back and fore without any throttle. However, if you are manoeuvering it is quite likely that you have the steering wheel hard over and this means there is a lot more resistance. Hence the need for throttle.

Search the forum for PDK reset as a lot of members have found this improves the situation.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
happy days

Post by happy days »

Bets on now for "They all do that, sir..."
Macan S D
718 S
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

So today (warm 28C) with warm tyres on 19inch wheels I had to reverse out of a car park with almost full lock. I noticed a vibration/skipping coming from the rear of the car which seems to be rear wheel/tyre related, maybe the inside wheel but not sure?

My question is:

Is this simply Ackerman geometry (they all do that sir) and if so why at the rear and not the front (happened all the time at the front of my Cayman with cold tyres)

Is this potentially a transfer box problem?

Any ideas or anyone noticed similar?
Jaybee

Post by Jaybee »

POV16 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 pm On occasion I put my car on the drive which means a few tight manoeuvres.
Sometimes backwards and forwards a couple of feet at a time.
I find that sometimes I can rev the engine sufficiently and the car doesn't move.
This causes the car to jolt when the gearbox grabs.
This can be quite unnerving.
I find myself left foot braking till the gearbox grabs.
This cant be normal?

My car is still under warranty till April and don't want to miss the opportunity to have it checked.

Wondered if this is something that others have experienced?
Is this the start of something more serious?
My Macan sd 47k did the same thing and I had to brake quickly to stop it hitting another car
Another time elsewhere, it happened again and I though I could hear wheelspin. All ok under normal conditions?
Did you approach your dealer? If so what did they think causes this problem.