Hesitation on pull away

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Ti Rich wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 pm When I picked up my new to me S D a few weeks ago it was hesitant pulling away. I used some Archoil AR6400-D MAX Professional Diesel Engine treatment as I have on all my diesels, and sure enough, the hesitancy is gone. I actually think it now picks up better than my BMW 435d did. Might be worth a try.

I also use the Archoil fuel additive (Archoil AR6900-D Max) with every tank and can't recommend the stuff enough. The engine runs so quietly you can not tell it's a diesel until it runs out of revs at 5k!
Thank you, however, how would this affect the warranty?

The car has always had BP Ultra Diesel or the equivalent from other suppliers (not Tesco and the like).
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Almost every manufactures uses some form of injector cleaner/additive these days, including VW/Audi group, as part of regular servicing. Even the fuel you are using contains an additive - does that affect the warranty? It's basically an Audi Engine and they do their own cleaner:-

If you are that worried use the cleaner and then refill up.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

OK, thank you. I know a few people with BMW's who use the BMW cleaner. I have never used anything like this despite having owned many BMW diesels, I've never had an issue.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

My last 3 cars were all BMW (330d, 330d 435d) and I use mainly premium diesel fuels (BP or Shell) in the past. However the Archoil stuff really appears to make a significant different difference. The 6400 is a one-off treatment while the 6900 treatment is added to fuel at each fill up. I find regular BP diesel with 50ml of the 6900 works better than using BP Ultimate and is far cheaper too. The car is more responsive and certainly much, much quieter. Read the reviews online, it gets good feedback.

It may still be a gearbox issue of course! Good luck.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Brimac

Post by Brimac »

Hi, my 16 plate Macan SD has developed a similar fault over the past few months. Does anyone know if this is a common issue ? Is this a problem which gets worse if left and if so is it likely to lead to a drive failure. What is the normal cost to replace the transfer box ?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Brimac wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:44 pm Hi, my 16 plate Macan SD has developed a similar fault over the past few months. Does anyone know if this is a common issue ? Is this a problem which gets worse if left and if so is it likely to lead to a drive failure. What is the normal cost to replace the transfer box ?
Just search “transfer box” or “transfer box cost” and you’ll find 3 or 4 lengthy threads.....

Costings here....

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8156&p=173770&hili ... ox#p173770
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

So one year on and the car is on 23k miles, it’s now had a two transfer boxes in the last 17 months, neither of which fixed the hesitation issue. So it’s back at Guildford OPC today for a week to see if they can get to the bottom of the hesitation.
It’s got worse over the last few months, it now seems to shunt whilst cruising at 40-50mph, and occasionally it slams into gear and just feels generally like something is loose.
It’s such a shame as it’s a fantastic car otherwise.

On the plus side, they gave me a Panamera Turbo S E hybrid to use over Easter, just wow!
Don16

Post by Don16 »

Sounds like valve body/mechatronics unit.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Don16 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:46 pm Sounds like valve body/mechatronics unit.
Can you elaborate please?
Don16

Post by Don16 »

Kleynie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 pm
Don16 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:46 pm Sounds like valve body/mechatronics unit.
Can you elaborate please?
Issues you describe sound like the mechatronics unit is failing. I have seen more and more reports of this recently and the mechatronics unit being replaced. Mention this to dealer.
Fits your symptoms more than transfer case.