Which grade Diesel

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
peter7

Post by peter7 »

I am quite new to Macan ownership ( 1200 miles ) so I have filled up a couple of times now , I always used Shell V power in the 911 and have used the V power in the Macan . I just wondered what other people’s thoughts and habits are concerning Diesel in their Macan’s .

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

peter7 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:15 am I am quite new to Macan ownership ( 1200 miles ) so I have filled up a couple of times now , I always used Shell V power in the 911 and have used the V power in the Macan . I just wondered what other people’s thoughts and habits are concerning Diesel in their Macan’s
Since switching to V Power diesel in our Yeti some years ago it has run quieter and smoother so I would recommend you stick to premium diesel in your Macan. You are less likely to suffer the dreaded DPF issues that others have although avoiding frequent short trips is more important.

The subject of which fuel to use has been done to death on here before now and, like running in and winter tyres, attracts reams of bias, prejudice and cynicism. But a little further reading from reliable sources elsewhere will often better inform your decision.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I have used BP Ultimate [premium grade] diesel since my Macan SD was new in May 2017. I've never had a DPF warning and the car's performance has been excellent power delivery wise.

As an aside its also needed just one AdBlue fill up in July 2018. It had the 1st service in May 2019 and the AdBlue was probably topped up then, but I wasn't charged for it. Its now covered 18,000 miles to date at an average of 36 mpg.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

BP ultimate for me every time. I don’t want to risk any DPF problems and it’s only a couple of pence dearer.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:03 am I have used BP Ultimate [premium grade] diesel since my Macan SD was new in May 2017. I've never had a DPF warning and the car's performance has been excellent power delivery wise.

As an aside its also needed just one AdBlue fill up in July 2018. It had the 1st service in May 2019 and the AdBlue was probably topped up then, but I wasn't charged for it. Its now covered 18,000 miles to date at an average of 36 mpg.
As Nick said, this subject has been done to death but, as an alternative to SAC1, I've had my Macan SD since July 2015 and it mainly runs on Sainsbury's best. It's never tasted any of the premium diesels but has had the occasional fill up with BP and Esso regular diesel. Like SAC1, I've never had a DPF warning and the car's performance has been excellent. It has covered 42,000 miles at an average of 35.4mpg.

If anyone followed the thread I started months ago they will be aware that I have had problems with the AdBlue pump so I'm sure someone will say that's down to using additive free fuel. Over 42k miles, the 10p a litre difference in price betwee supermarket fuel and premium fuel adds up.

My advice to the OP is "you pays your money and you takes your choice". Whichever fuel you use, enjoy your car.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

When I ran diesel BMW's, my first choice was BP Ultimate over Shell V power. The BP premium fuel has a higher Cetane value than the Shell premium fuel. the cetane value is an indication of the ability to burn and the higher the more performance or mpg.

Now I am in a petrol Macan I am on Shell has their premium fuel is higher octane than the BP one.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Pgt1999

Post by Pgt1999 »

I know It’s not exactly a Macan but I had awful problem with egr and dpf on a BMW x3. Swore never again diesel. Anyway bought a VW diesel from new a only ever use premium diesel for 50k. Not a single issue whatsoever.... for what it’s worth
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:03 am I have used BP Ultimate [premium grade] diesel since my Macan SD was new in May 2017. I've never had a DPF warning and the car's performance has been excellent power delivery wise.

As Nick said, this subject has been done to death but, as an alternative to SAC1, I've had my Macan SD since July 2015 and it mainly runs on Sainsbury's best. It's never tasted any of the premium diesels but has had the occasional fill up with BP and Esso regular diesel. Like SAC1, I've never had a DPF warning and the car's performance has been excellent. It has covered 42,000 miles at an average of 35.4mpg.

If anyone followed the thread I started months ago they will be aware that I have had problems with the AdBlue pump so I'm sure someone will say that's down to using additive free fuel. Over 42k miles, the 10p a litre difference in price betwee supermarket fuel and premium fuel adds up.

My advice to the OP is "you pays your money and you takes your choice". Whichever fuel you use, enjoy your car.
About £10 p.m. saving over those 42k miles then.
I will stick with the premium stuff as mine would work out at £7 p.m. saving.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver