Transfer Box

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

My 2015 S diesel has just had the Transfer box fluid changed due to the recall campaign.

However, as I drove out of the dealership a message popped up on my dash "engine control fault - consult a garage driving permitted". The car went into limp mode and is unresponsive.

Apparently, my DPF needs regenerating at a cost of £197.60. Feeling a little bit suspicious about this....

Could the two be related in anyway?

Paul

Post by Paul »

Mr Singh wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:58 pm My 2015 S diesel has just had the Transfer box fluid changed due to the recall campaign.

However, as I drove out of the dealership a message popped up on my dash "engine control fault - consult a garage driving permitted". The car went into limp mode and is unresponsive.

Apparently, my DPF needs regenerating at a cost of £197.60. Feeling a little bit suspicious about this....

Could the two be related in anyway?
No, not related. DPF filter charge is a measure of soot within the filter. If passive regeneration isn’t carried out (ie car up to temp for long enough) then a force regeneration is required to clean the filter and burn off the excess soot.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Thanks
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Mr Singh wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:58 pm
I don't know whether you bought your SD new or not. In my case, I bought it new and always had services/repairs undertaken by the supplying OPC.

In my last year of ownership, every time the car went in to the OPC they carried out a regeneration (at no charge). When I queried this they told me that it was an instruction from Porsche GB. In five years, I never had a single DPF warning but then the car was mainly used for trips over 100 miles each way.

I've never experienced "limp home" mode so this suggestion may not be possible. However, if you can get the car to a motorway and wind it up to around 70mile/h and drive for an hour the car should self regenerate.

If you mainly use the car for short journeys then you should plan regular outings over a longer journey to make sure the DPF problem does not recur.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Paul

Post by Paul »

On-Track wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:58 am
I don't know whether you bought your SD new or not. In my case, I bought it new and always had services/repairs undertaken by the supplying OPC.

In my last year of ownership, every time the car went in to the OPC they carried out a regeneration (at no charge). When I queried this they told me that it was an instruction from Porsche GB. In five years, I never had a single DPF warning but then the car was mainly used for trips over 100 miles each way.

I've never experienced "limp home" mode so this suggestion may not be possible. However, if you can get the car to a motorway and wind it up to around 70mile/h and drive for an hour the car should self regenerate.

If you mainly use the car for short journeys then you should plan regular outings over a longer journey to make sure the DPF problem does not recur.

Not wanting to split hairs, but the dpf will only self-regenerate when the ECU tells it to ie a certain soot load already exists.

But good advice to run the car at temperature for good while as the higher temp prevents any further soot load developing.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Paul wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:02 am

Not wanting to split hairs, but the dpf will only self-regenerate when the ECU tells it to ie a certain soot load already exists.

But good advice to run the car at temperature for good while as the higher temp prevents any further soot load developing.
I did say I have no experience of "limp home" mode but I was working on the assumption that if the car was in that mode then the ECU had already hit the panic button so would initiate regeneration if conditions were right.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Paul

Post by Paul »

On-Track wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:08 am
Paul wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:02 am

I did say I have no experience of "limp home" mode but I was working on the assumption that if the car was in that mode then the ECU had already hit the panic button so would initiate regeneration if conditions were right.
Apologies, mis-read. Yes, if the car goes into limp mode it will be because previous warnings will have been ignored or the process not fully completed.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

50,000 miles clocked this week in 3.5 years. Twice now when pulling away with a little right lock the car has grumbled. Twice in a month. It’s not wheel skip. It seeming comes from somewhere beneath my backside. No warranty cover. Brakes due for replacement. I am due warranty work on sticky towbar but OPC Belfast don’t seem to be providing courtesy cars.
What to do?
Next service due 10,000 miles. I was going to use the OPC for that in case something came up that I could argue a contribution over. And then there are these stories about the transfer box extended manufacture warranty.
I know they will bleed me dry on the brakes but they are kinda important.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Tom 2000 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 pm 50,000 miles clocked this week in 3.5 years. Twice now when pulling away with a little right lock the car has grumbled. Twice in a month. It’s not wheel skip. It seeming comes from somewhere beneath my backside. No warranty cover. Brakes due for replacement. I am due warranty work on sticky towbar but OPC Belfast don’t seem to be providing courtesy cars.
What to do?
Next service due 10,000 miles. I was going to use the OPC for that in case something came up that I could argue a contribution over. And then there are these stories about the transfer box extended manufacture warranty.
I know they will bleed me dry on the brakes but they are kinda important.
Antrim for the brakes
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Botis

Post by Botis »

I have a four year old (21k miles) Turbo also not currently under extended Porsche warranty as recently purchased from an independent dealer.

Earlier this month I noticed a subtle knocking coming from the rear when accelerating gently in 2nd and 3rd gears. Knew what it was likely to be as my previous Macan had its transfer box replaced after the same behaviour. Took it to my local OPC and they confirmed it was indeed the transfer box and they are would organise replacement FOC.

When chatting to the service rep he confirmed that the drivetrain was under extended warranty however it was dependant on the car being properly maintained and not modified in anyway. So I would say get the brakes done at an OPC. You might pay more but you don't want to give them an excuse to not honour the warranty replacement of the transfer box
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD