Apple Car Play

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
happy days

Re: Apple Car Play

Post by happy days » Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 am

Taz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 pm
As ‘happy days’ said, most features are already in the car, BUT the voice activated phone book is brilliant. You can also dictate text messages.
Well - when I first got the 718S with Carplay, I had an interesting SMS conversation with my daughter. The system was pretty awful and simply did not recognise half the words I was saying (unlike direct to the iPhone which is simply brilliant).

My daughter hadn't a clue what was going on - she thought I was drunk while texting until I told her I was using the car. I pretty much gave up after that, but it is pretty useful for starting phone calls.
Macan S D
718 S

Col Lamb

Re: Apple Car Play

Post by Col Lamb » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

Car Play.

Only worth it for one related group of functions, namely Maps, Nav and especially Live Traffic all of which are much better than the PCM version.

That said if I am going on the Mway I tend plug in the iPhone and have a look along the intended route to see of any traffic issues, never tend to use the SatNav until I get nearer to an unknown destination.

I see zero point in paying money for streaming music and paying again for a data SIM so that rules out quite a few of the Apps.

In car voice control is useless for my Lancastrian accent.

Not found any use at all for in car WiFi, in car passengers can use their own data via 4G. My Mrs’s iPhone and iPad are set up to connect but in 20 months she has used it once.

To each there own though.
Col
Macan Turbo, Met Blk, Spyders, Air, ACC, Pano, Garnet, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Spare Wheel plus a few other goodies.
Prior Macan SD similar spec to Turbo

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”