Wireless charging and Wireless CarPlay mod to 2017 GTS

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Thought I'd share

I've managed to hook up my iPhone wirelessly using a dongle plugged into the USB port in the centre console. You can see the dongle in the last photo

The dongle is supplied by NM Automotive, second item here: https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

(I have no association with these guys)

I've also printed on a 3D printer a holder for an off the shelf Belkin wireless charger. This is the charger: https://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F7U068/

The charger 'daisy chains' through the dongle

The Pros are it means I can place my phone in the centre console and it connects to CarPlay wirelessly and charges at the same time. The Cons are it can sometimes take 15seconds or so for the CarPlay to start (other times it is instant) and the printed holder is, well, printed and shows the layers of plastic in the print. I did experiment with covering it with felt but the printed finish is plenty good enough for me :-)

This is a brief video of it working

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I tried Carplay with my workphone and was entirely underwhelmed. It wouldn't even resume playing music from Spotify after I stopped for petrol - had to go through from the start all over again.

Am I missing something?
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Some Pros and some Cons. Management of music on the phone I think is better and I like being able to use Google Maps, especially planning routes with stops. But the PCM is pretty good.

I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit in my Boxster and the wireless adapter is better suited to this car as without it it is FM radio or nothing

I also like being able to charge my phone without fiddling with cables 8-)

image.png

image.gif

2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Interesting feedback, thanks.

Great mod by the way, impressive 3D printing solution.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Botis

Post by Botis »

Brilliant idea and great post. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Is there a 3D marketplace somewhere you could sell the template for this?
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Scottchp

Post by Scottchp »

Looks good, there’s deffo a wee cottage industry here in this venture for ya!!
Fun ICE car - TBC...I’m working on it!!
Daily Grunt - 2020 Peugeot e208 GT
SOLD - 2017 Macan GTS
Volcano Grey, Air, 21” Turbos, Pan Roof, Carbon Interior and a few more luxuries...
rob_911

Post by rob_911 »

Brilliant idea, and very smart. Does the Google maps function still work pretty well through the wireless dongle?

Would you consider selling one of the 3D printed inserts? I might be interested :D
Current: 2017 Macan GTS
Sold: 2012 911 Carrera S PDK
Sold: 2006 911 Carrera S Manual
rob_911

Post by rob_911 »

Hi Madelvic, one month on from installing this, how are you getting on? Any bugs or niggles with the wireless?
Current: 2017 Macan GTS
Sold: 2012 911 Carrera S PDK
Sold: 2006 911 Carrera S Manual
Botis

Post by Botis »

Hi Madelvic

I have just purchased one of the Carplay2Air adaptors but keen to implement a full wireless solution like you have done.

I've tried to buy an aftermarket tray and fix a wireless charger to that but the dimensions just don't work.

Would you consider selling one of your 3D printed adaptors? Sure there would be others interesting in them too.
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Am late to this having only just installed the wireless car play solution, which is working perfectly. V impressed with your wireless charging solution Maldevic, which, when added to CPlayAir really does give the full package. Am also just about to attempt first instal of pocket gps speed camera files to my 2017 pcm ( 4 I think) so thanks also for the thread and steer on that.

Appreciate you posted sometime ago but hope you don’t mind a couple of questions. First did/does the OEM phone holder in the console cause fitting issues at all for the Belkin holder you designed and printed? Secondly after a few months is the Belkin power daisy chained via the CPlay dongle continuing to work ok, or is the charging hit and miss given the limited space in the console with the cables and dongle in place?

Well done again, v tempted👍🙂