Carplay not playing through car speakers after ignition temporarily off

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Botis

Post by Botis »

I have a strange but annoying problem and wonder if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

The vehicle in question is a MY17 Turbo but my MY17 SD did exactly the same thing.

The issue is as follows...

Get into car and plug iPhone into USB port in console. Carplay starts fine and plays through car speakers as expected.
Leaving the phone connected I turn off ignition and leave car to fill up with fuel (not locking car). Only away for approx 3 minutes
When starting up and driving off Carplay is displayed on the PCM however the sound is played from the iPhone speaker.

Only way to get it back playing through the car speakers is to unplug the USB cable and reconnect.

Anyone else had this issue or know of a fix?
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD

Botis

Post by Botis »

Does anyone else really not have this issue?

On both Macan's I've owned it consistently has this behaviour and it bugs the crap out of me.

Even more so now that I have invested in a wireless carplay dongle which exhibits exactly the same behavior. Only way to resolve is to unplug it and reconnect which kind of defeats the wireless functionality.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Mine is a MY18 and does not suffer the pcm problem you have. Two thoughts occur:

1. I understand earlier cars received pcm updates via the Dealer, might your pcm need a software update? Alternatively have you updated the PCM software and nav maps yourself recently using a Porsche Connect subscription? I did mine by getting the car close enough to my WiFi router signal. It may just be an issue of software compatibility, as these things often are...

2. If you have an ‘older’ model iPhone then is it bang up to date with updates? Alternatively if a new model iPhone then perhaps a PCM update as above is the problem.

3. daft maybe but have you got access to another iPhone you can use to see if same happens with a different phone - it could just be an issue with your particular phone...

If I think of anything else will let you know. Good luck.
Botis

Post by Botis »

Thanks Connoisseur, really appreciate your input.

The car is booked in next month for what I’m guessing will be a transfer box replacement so will ask about a PCM update at the same visit.

I don’t have a Connect subscription on this car but would certainly consider one if it fixed the issue. I knew that a subscription provided map updates but did not realise it did the PCM too. Is that a definite?

My phone is only a year old and generally always has the latest IOS updates. Good call about using another phone though so will try my partners iPhone 11 tomorrow and see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Thanks again for your comments.
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Botis wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:15 pm Thanks Connoisseur, really appreciate your input.

The car is booked in next month for what I’m guessing will be a transfer box replacement so will ask about a PCM update at the same visit.

I don’t have a Connect subscription on this car but would certainly consider one if it fixed the issue. I knew that a subscription provided map updates but did not realise it did the PCM too. Is that a definite?

My phone is only a year old and generally always has the latest IOS updates. Good call about using another phone though so will try my partners iPhone 11 tomorrow and see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Thanks again for your comments.
Over the air updates are only for the mapping software. PCM software updates have to be performed by the OPC.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Botis, which wireless dongle re you using? Am thinking of getting one and would be good to know if it works ok for you? I see Nuclear Nick (thanks) above has kindly clarified on PCM software updates so getting the Dealer to do so for your car while it’s in might help.

Cheers

C
Botis

Post by Botis »

I got one of these

https://cplay2air.com

Did a bit of research and seen a few mixed reviews but happy to say it works well for me. They are shipped from China but only took 10 days from order to delivery. Will try and find the discount code I used and post here later
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Botis

Post by Botis »

10NOW gets 10% off.

Should get cost down to $116.96 which is around £91

Bear in mind your card provider may charge a foreign currency transaction fee. Suggest using something like Revolut to avoid this. Have found them great for non UK spending
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Botis wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm 10NOW gets 10% off.

Should get cost down to $116.96 which is around £91

Bear in mind your card provider may charge a foreign currency transaction fee. Suggest using something like Revolut to avoid this. Have found them great for non UK spending
Much appreciated, thank you, now ordered.

C
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Mine did this today. 2017 GTS. Only had The car 5 days from a Porsche dealer. Quite frustrating