Best value data SIM on Amazon for Black Friday TODAY ONLY

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
TimL

Post by TimL »

Clossie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:58 am
TimL wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:03 pm I bought one of these closer to the £30 mark a few weeks ago expecting to be able to use it for a WiFi hot spot in my new MY21 S. Only after I inserted it did I realise it would just replace the embedded SIM for Connect services. I have no other use for it, selling for £25 (inc. 2nd class signed for postage) in case anyone missed out on the Black Friday deal. It was only in the external slim slot for a couple of minutes, data use would be negligible.

PM me if you are interested.
Why would it not work for the wifi? I’m positive it does in mine.
@ Clossie, when I put the SIM into the external slot I got a message along the lines of the "embedded SIM will be disabled" and there were some prompts on the home screen to switch PCM services over. In my mind I was expecting to use the external SIM as the WiFi hotspot and the embedded SIM for the PCM functions. I gave up at that point. Would appreciate any pointers if there is a workaround.
2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Porsche Code PRZ7RJN9)
Sold: 2023 Macan S Gentian Blue (Porsche Code PP6NHQK0)
Sold: 2021 Macan S Volcano Grey (Porsche Code PL2HKD85)

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

TimL wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:50 pm
TimL wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:03 pm I bought one of these closer to the £30 mark a few weeks ago expecting to be able to use it for a WiFi hot spot in my new MY21 S. Only after I inserted it did I realise it would just replace the embedded SIM for Connect services. I have no other use for it, selling for £25 (inc. 2nd class signed for postage) in case anyone missed out on the Black Friday deal. It was only in the external slim slot for a couple of minutes, data use would be negligible.

PM me if you are interested.
@ Clossie, when I put the SIM into the external slot I got a message along the lines of the "embedded SIM will be disabled" and there were some prompts on the home screen to switch PCM services over. In my mind I was expecting to use the external SIM as the WiFi hotspot and the embedded SIM for the PCM functions. I gave up at that point. Would appreciate any pointers if there is a workaround.
Do you not have free data on the embedded SIM for two years on a new car? That used to be the case. That would mean that you don't need a data SIM until the agreement ends. You should be able to see all the services available to you in My Porsche.

If you don't have free data then the external SIM will provide that for the wifi hotspot while Navigation Services etc continue on the embedded SIM. There have been posts on setting this up in the past - have you tried a search?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:09 am
Do you not have free data on the embedded SIM for two years on a new car? That used to be the case. That would mean that you don't need a data SIM until the agreement ends. You should be able to see all the services available to you in My Porsche.

If you don't have free data then the external SIM will provide that for the wifi hotspot while Navigation Services etc continue on the embedded SIM. There have been posts on setting this up in the past - have you tried a search?
[/quote]

No free data for streaming in-car Wifi came with my 2019 Gen 2 S. From day one, data package was shown on sale in the Porsche Connect shop whereas the other services that came free were shown as purchased until the usual periods end. As I don't stream music and use USB for that and no used or in-car wifi, I have not bought a package or separate sim card.
Last edited by pmg on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
TimL

Post by TimL »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:09 am
TimL wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:50 pm

@Nuclear Nick, yes I have 2 years free on the embedded SIM. Thought I could use the external SIM just for the WiFi hotspot (rather than pay extra for the data package) from the searches I had done on the forum. Will have another read through the bookmarked threads and see if I can figure it out over the holidays. Thanks.
2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Porsche Code PRZ7RJN9)
Sold: 2023 Macan S Gentian Blue (Porsche Code PP6NHQK0)
Sold: 2021 Macan S Volcano Grey (Porsche Code PL2HKD85)
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

I saw this thread and purchased one.... one of many spur of the moment, not thinking purchases :lol:

I have a 2015 DS after the 2 years lapsed i felt the ‘gimmick’ of knowing where i parked my car and remotely folding the mirrors was expensive so didn't bother renewing it.

Im currently stuck out in HKG with work and no access to my handbook. So my question is.... did i just waste my money or is this sim still usable in my Macan.

Thank you in anticipation
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

r1flyguy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm I saw this thread and purchased one.... one of many spur of the moment, not thinking purchases :lol:

I have a 2015 DS after the 2 years lapsed i felt the ‘gimmick’ of knowing where i parked my car and remotely folding the mirrors was expensive so didn't bother renewing it.

Im currently stuck out in HKG with work and no access to my handbook. So my question is.... did i just waste my money or is this sim still usable in my Macan.

Sounds like you may be confusing functions here, which is often the case given Porsche's way of delivering these tech facilities. Accessing information of where your car is and whether it is locked or not comes with the Connect app. Pretty useless and most owners don't renew when the initial free period lapses. Car Connect, or Connect Plus, is the suite of remote services, like Navigation Services, which includes live traffic etc, and other apps like local fuel station and pricing and also in-car wifi hotspot data streaming. These services are free for an initial period of two years and the data is received by the car via an embedded SIM, although whether you get free data streaming depends on when you bought the car. Once the free period ends the cheapest way to continue to receive data is via a SIM like the one you have bought, and once inserted, it disables the data streaming facility in the embedded SIM. So you may not have wasted your money, but only if your car had Connect Plus originally and therefore will have a slot for you to insert the new SIM. Hope that's all clear now!

Have you got the Good to Know app on your phone? That's the easiest way to get information on the car when you're not able to use your handbook.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:46 am
r1flyguy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm I saw this thread and purchased one.... one of many spur of the moment, not thinking purchases :lol:

Sounds like you may be confusing functions here, which is often the case given Porsche's way of delivering these tech facilities. Accessing information of where your car is and whether it is locked or not comes with the Connect app. Pretty useless and most owners don't renew when the initial free period lapses. Car Connect, or Connect Plus, is the suite of remote services, like Navigation Services, which includes live traffic etc, and other apps like local fuel station and pricing and also in-car wifi hotspot data streaming. These services are free for an initial period of two years and the data is received by the car via an embedded SIM, although whether you get free data streaming depends on when you bought the car. Once the free period ends the cheapest way to continue to receive data is via a SIM like the one you have bought, and once inserted, it disables the data streaming facility in the embedded SIM. So you may not have wasted your money, but only if your car had Connect Plus originally and therefore will have a slot for you to insert the new SIM. Hope that's all clear now!

Have you got the Good to Know app on your phone? That's the easiest way to get information on the car when you're not able to use your handbook.
Unfortunately, Porsche have two apps, which sound very similar: Porsche Connect and Porsche Car Connect

Porsche Connect is a service wholly operated by Porsche, which includes the facility to send navigation destinations remotely to your car, provided your car has the imbedded SIM option or you use an external SIM card. This app does not provide car data or the ability to lock/unlock your car from the app:-

https://www.porsche.com/uk/connect/

Porsche Car Connect is a service operated on behalf of Porsche by Vodafone, which is an annual fee paying service. This app does provide car data and the ability to lock/unlock your car from the app, and the current UK cost for this service is £99 pa. For an additional annual fee, Vodafone will also provide a vehicle tracking service:-

https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/ ... welcome.do

I hope this information helps.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Guy

Post by Guy »

... and of course Porsche Connect (or Connect Plus) wasn't available for the Macan in 2015. (EDIT: and could not be added later to a 2014/15 car)

@r1flyguy - your car may have a SIM slot under the PCM's pull down flap, but it is only useable if you optioned the 'Telephone Module' (not to be confused with the 'Mobile Phone Preparation'). Even if you have the Telephone Module, it is for calls only, and provides no data to any of the cars systems. The only way that the car could access (limited) data services would have been via the Aha Radio app (via your smartphone), and only if you added 'Online Services', another costed option. So yes, I think you wasted your money!