Porsche Connect App

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

What can you do with Porsche connect app (not the vodafone one)?
In the connection status screen, I see Vehicle not accessible, is that normal for a Macan gen 2?
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

As I’m sure you’re aware, Porsche have two apps, which sound very similar: Porsche Connect and Porsche Car Connect

Porsche Connect is a service wholly operated by Porsche, which includes the facility to send navigation destinations remotely to your car, provided your car has the imbedded SIM option or you use an external SIM card. This app does not provide car data or the ability to lock/unlock your car from the app:-

https://www.porsche.com/uk/connect/

Porsche Car Connect is a service operated on behalf of Porsche by Vodafone, which is an annual fee paying service. This app does provide car data and the ability to lock/unlock your car from the app, and the current UK cost for this service is £99 pa. For an additional annual fee, Vodafone will also provide a vehicle tracking service:-

https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/ ... welcome.do

You can also have a look at the thread, which may be of interest:-

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10371
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Thanks. I was hoping the Porsche Connect app will at least be able to show the whereabouts of the car. It sounds like Porsche Connect app isn't very useful if the only feature is to send destinations from app to car PCM.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I have a Gen 1 car and I gather the functions are different/less in the Gen 2!

However it's not just sending destinations to the sat nav (though I do find that incredibly useful)

The online services I use include:
  • real-time traffic updates,
  • searching for petrol stations with latest prices
  • Google online search for destinations (so rather than address or postcode you can search on the name of a restaurant or business)
  • locations of speed cameras in the sat nav (not Gen 2 cars?) and
  • online sat nav map updates
I don't use other functions; weather, Twitter etc but it's a personal choice

If you want whereabouts of your car there are super-easy-to-fit trackers for £40 one-off cost that will tell you where your car is
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
FlyingBiker

Post by FlyingBiker »

I have had issues with Porsche connect and the navigation system since I took delivery of the Macan Generation 2. I have been in contact with both Porsche UK and Porsche Glasgow and get conflicting ior incomplete information.
It started when I tried to bulk upload destinations to the Nav. Eventually I was advised that this was impossible and told to individually enter locations through the MyPorsche web pages. I prefer to use a PC. This was slow but did work I could enter the locations. The transfer to the Macan did not work.
Porsche then advised me that the cheaper option was to use a 3rd party SIM rather than the Vodafone data package from Porsche if I did not want/need to Porsche Car Connect.
Ordered 3party SIM, installed (very easy) the PCM appeared to accept the new card, a number of addition functions now became available.
Back to the PC to tried to send locations to car, PC confirms that the location was sent but the Macan never received the information.
Open the Porsche Connect app on both my Phone and Tablet and my new locations appear on both.
I read to use the new did somewhere
Set up a vehicle hotspot (using my new SIM) and logged onto Porsche Connect through the hotspot and my phone. Then tried to send the locations to te Macan while sitting in the car. The app stated that the locations were sent but the car never received the information.
QUESTION
Has anybody managed to send locations to the car when a 3rd party SIM has been use. Or d you require the Vodafone data package from Porsche to make the send location to work?
JOHN
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Couldn't quite help with the location sending issue, I am interested to find out what additional functions you get with using own data sim.
FlyingBiker wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:08 am I have had issues with Porsche connect and the navigation system since I took delivery of the Macan Generation 2. I have been in contact with both Porsche UK and Porsche Glasgow and get conflicting ior incomplete information.
It started when I tried to bulk upload destinations to the Nav. Eventually I was advised that this was impossible and told to individually enter locations through the MyPorsche web pages. I prefer to use a PC. This was slow but did work I could enter the locations. The transfer to the Macan did not work.
Porsche then advised me that the cheaper option was to use a 3rd party SIM rather than the Vodafone data package from Porsche if I did not want/need to Porsche Car Connect.
Ordered 3party SIM, installed (very easy) the PCM appeared to accept the new card, a number of addition functions now became available.
Back to the PC to tried to send locations to car, PC confirms that the location was sent but the Macan never received the information.
Open the Porsche Connect app on both my Phone and Tablet and my new locations appear on both.
I read to use the new did somewhere
Set up a vehicle hotspot (using my new SIM) and logged onto Porsche Connect through the hotspot and my phone. Then tried to send the locations to te Macan while sitting in the car. The app stated that the locations were sent but the car never received the information.
QUESTION
Has anybody managed to send locations to the car when a 3rd party SIM has been use. Or d you require the Vodafone data package from Porsche to make the send location to work?
JOHN
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
FlyingBiker

Post by FlyingBiker »

I am sure all this is known to the knowledgeable few, but for soon owners it is a complete mystery what the PCM can do. I believe that even the Porsche garages don't know. When I inserted the new SIM I was able to set up a local hotspot. When I read the institutions it mentions hotspot but you are never sure wither you have to connect your phone to the hotspot or connect the PCM to a external hotspot. I have been complaining about being unable to install mt own POI. After installing the SIM I discovered a thing called Layers, this a cheap man's POI but a move in the correct direction but you still cannot install your own data onto a layer. Regarding the uplaoading if destinations where you aware that your destinations synchronise between your table, phone and PC but not my Macvan.
Regard