Strange CarPlay Disconneciton Quirk

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
NSinc

Post by NSinc »

I've discovered a weird but very annoying issue with my 2019 S. When i get in the car, CarPlay will connect. All good. But if i either leave car running to run back in the house to grab something (with my phone in my pocket) Then when i get back in the car, CarPlay has disconnected and there's absolutely no way it will reconnect. I get "connect via USB or WiFi" errors.

The same thing happens if i turn the car off to run into a shop for 1-2 minutes. When i come back and get i the car, it won't connect to CarPlay again immediately. No issues whatsoever if we're talking 5 mins+ of the car being off.

Anyone else experiencing similar?
2018 Audi RS3 480bhp (Nardo Grey)
2019 Macan S (Volcano Grey)

bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I didn't realise that wireless carplay is in the 2019 model. Mine doesn't have it or I couldn't get it to work.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

I don’t have wireless CarPlay in my very early 2019 model. Instead, it only connects with the wire even if my phone is connected to both WiFi and Bluetooth.
It looks like the PCM version was updated at some point in 2019 to enable this. The row of icons down the side of the Home Screen is slightly different. On my version there is no shortcut to devices but on a loaner I had from Brooklands OPC last week it had a specific devices shortcut icon. Also, all I needed to do was connect to Bluetooth and the connectivity to wireless CarPlay was flawless. Didn’t notice any issues as the original poster has experienced but don’t think I restarted the car within 5 mins of switching off.

It was actually one of the things I listed when I booked it in “wireless CarPlay not working”. Their response was “The Apple car play can only be used by the cable on your model unfortunately and there is no update as of yet to carry this out. There is talk this is in the pipeline of being an update.”

Very strange as when I had an F Pace, the dealer just activated OTA updates and then the software was kept up to date automatically.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I hope an update will become available so that wireless carplay becomes available in pcm of early gen 2
dangezza wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:14 pm I don’t have wireless CarPlay in my very early 2019 model. Instead, it only connects with the wire even if my phone is connected to both WiFi and Bluetooth.
It looks like the PCM version was updated at some point in 2019 to enable this. The row of icons down the side of the Home Screen is slightly different. On my version there is no shortcut to devices but on a loaner I had from Brooklands OPC last week it had a specific devices shortcut icon. Also, all I needed to do was connect to Bluetooth and the connectivity to wireless CarPlay was flawless. Didn’t notice any issues as the original poster has experienced but don’t think I restarted the car within 5 mins of switching off.

It was actually one of the things I listed when I booked it in “wireless CarPlay not working”. Their response was “The Apple car play can only be used by the cable on your model unfortunately and there is no update as of yet to carry this out. There is talk this is in the pipeline of being an update.”

Very strange as when I had an F Pace, the dealer just activated OTA updates and then the software was kept up to date automatically.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Me too. Although the Bluetooth in the Macan is quite advanced with it bringing up emails, messages, and album artwork. I can even click into the track list on the MFD to select a song. My previous cars have never been able to index this stuff over Bluetooth.

I also have a car2play adapter but it isn’t reliable enough for me. Will work fine then just stop playing mid track.

Wired will have to do when I want apple carplay but if I do hear anything about the wireless activation for early 2019 vehicles I’ll let you know.