Macan Satnav / Speed Camera alerts

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Pandrews68

Post by Pandrews68 »

Hi.
I'm looking for some feedback / guidance as a soon to be Macan (MY23) owner. Over the past 10 years i've owned a couple of Land Rover Evoque Autobiography which come with a fairly decent Satnav with inbuilt Road traffic sign, speed limit recognition and Speed Camera detection . When I took the Macan out for a test drive I was surpised that the Sat Nav doesnt appear to have Speed Camera detection as part of the software. I've seen some older posts (2022) that recommend using Waze through Apple Car play as a workaround - Is this still the case in 2023 or are there other Apps or software upgrades that anyone recommends ?

I'm expecting the obvious response - Stick to the speed limit but as I tend to be drive to various locations in the UK on business with varying speed limits and stealth camera's this is a must for me!

(It hasnt deterred me from buying - fingers crossed collect the car on Saturday! )

Thanks
Pete

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Pandrews68 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:19 am Hi.
I'm looking for some feedback / guidance as a soon to be Macan (MY23) owner. Over the past 10 years i've owned a couple of Land Rover Evoque Autobiography which come with a fairly decent Satnav with inbuilt Road traffic sign, speed limit recognition and Speed Camera detection . When I took the Macan out for a test drive I was surpised that the Sat Nav doesnt appear to have Speed Camera detection as part of the software. I've seen some older posts (2022) that recommend using Waze through Apple Car play as a workaround - Is this still the case in 2023 or are there other Apps or software upgrades that anyone recommends ?

I'm expecting the obvious response - Stick to the speed limit but as I tend to be drive to various locations in the UK on business with varying speed limits and stealth camera's this is a must for me!

(It hasnt deterred me from buying - fingers crossed collect the car on Saturday! )

Thanks
Pete
The obvious conclusion from your post is that you usually break the speed limit everywhere. And the essential requirement for speed camera detection suggests you already have a good collection of fast driving awards. Yes, those on here similar to you seem to recommend Waze.

Systems for recognising speed limits often get it wrong in my experience, likewise speed camera detection, even for fixed cameras let alone for mobile units.

You've already answered your question in your post, but I have to agree that compliance is becoming harder with the proliferation of ridiculous 20mph zones and anti car councils increasingly lowering limits not for safety reasons. This focus on speed alone is distracting from more important road safety issues.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
dlgis

Post by dlgis »

I use a TomTom app with all the features you require on my iPhone that links to Apple carplay on the screen. So I don’t use the main Porsche satnav very often.
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Rather than spend cash on tech IMO it would be better spent on an IAM course, the course will help you to improve your observational skills.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

I have waze on via CarPlay pretty much by default, even if I’m popping to the shops. Partly because it’s so good at detecting traffic issues and partly because it’s pretty accurate in terms of speed limits. On the other hand the car’s own speed limit detector works better through roadworks and variable speed limit cameras, but to be honest those are so obvious I don’t need the car to tell me.
I’m not a speed freak but nowadays I think as many warning systems as you can have are quite helpful. But if councils decide to start sticking cameras on the ever growing 20mph roads here in London then I’m fearful for my license that has been spotless for the last 20 years because keeping a heavy automatic car within 20 mph when there is so much to concentrate on around you is no easy feat. There’s a massive difference between driving within 30 and driving within 20.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Understand the issue

On Gen 1 cars one could add speed camera poi’s but this doesn’t help you

The only further suggestion I have is a dash cam with speed camera alerts. I have a Snooper that I wouldn’t recommend (camera updates are infrequent). Sure there are better ones out there or a dedicated camera detector?

Enjoy the car
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Most manufacturers do not allow speed camera POIs to be added now due to the variety of legalities out there in differing countries.

RadarAll for £6.99 via Carplay works very well and I also use Apple Maps which has many of the cameras as well.
Macan S MY 2023