goron59's thoughts on PCM/Car Play

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Gordon.
I've used both google maps and waze whilst traveling in europe. Using Google maps I get the warning daily that I've exceeded my 50mb daily roaming allowance. With waze I don't.
Just my experience of driving 8-10 days a month in europe.
I'm usually in hire cars, so on board nav is not usually an option.

"Gordon?"
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Gordon.
I've used both google maps and waze whilst traveling in europe. Using Google maps I get the warning daily that I've exceeded my 50mb daily roaming allowance. With waze I don't.
Just my experience of driving 8-10 days a month in europe.
I'm usually in hire cars, so on board nav is not usually an option.

"Gordon?"

And I bet you're not 59 either LOL
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

As others have said, thanks to Goron for this thread which is particularly useful. I'm preparing for my car coming in 3 weeks and trying to get music sorted. A couple of questions based on what I've read.

1. If I just copy a folder with an album in from my iTunes media files to a SD card or USB, will album art come across with just that folder or do I need to copy another folder with the art in? If so, which folder is that?

2. I just read the table that Goron posted that states metadata for art maximum at 800 x 800 pixels. Having literally just spent days fixing my album art, many at above 800 x 800 as didn't realise, what will happen to album art bigger than this size when load to jukebox or play straight from card / USB?

Thanks in advance.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Art is extracted from the music files - assuming it's a file format supporting art. If it's from iTunes you should be fine.
Never tested >800px images, sorry.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have been doing a similar job.

My problem was that iTunes on my PC only found about half of the album art for all my music CDs.

So I started one album at a time to find the correct Album art online and saved a 600x600 version to the same folder where the album music is located.

Then for each Album folder I used some editing software to point each music mp3 to the Album Art contained within the folder.

Its working OK in my older MY15 system so keeping fingers crossed for late Sept.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thanks Goron & Col. I found something else that helped too called Dougscript. Lots of automated scripts to help with managing album covers in iTunes. Used one to identify all covers greater than 800x800, one to re-size them where necessary & one to identify which tracks (not albums) did not have them embedded at individual file level as metadata. The latter was on a lot of VW/Audi forums as the reason album covers didn't show up. Hopefully it will work!
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

As goron says, it's done through iTunes, although some of mine have the art work and some don't.
But as I'm only listening to the music and not looking at the screen, it's not something that's ever bothered me.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

More experiences on Apple Maps (CarPlay) vs PCM nav.

Traveling to Penrhyn Castle yesterday and PCM+Google search found it ok, but because it's not on a public road, set my target to the closest point (as crow flies) on a public road. I'd then have to go into off-road mode or walk the last 1K.

Sod that, so turned to Apple Maps (CarPlay). Siri took me to the gate house at the end of the private drive that takes you to the castle,and then further directions to the castle itself.

I can see why. PCM integration with google search goes only as far as getting GPS coordinates for the destination, then, PCM nav takes over.

The integration is just a bit sh*t for cases like this.
CarPlay joined-up thinking wins again.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Apples IOS released 10.3.1 early April that has some CarPlay changes

From Apple's website

CarPlay
Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song's album
Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
coulsda2

Post by coulsda2 »

Thanks Goron for your review.

I paid for connect + over a year ago but only last week received the invite for 2 years of porsche apps. Not sure you have access without the connect +. Actually not sure how much I will use the Apps so lets see....