Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Does it matter which fuse is used? I presume they all become live when ignition is switched on but do I need to use one that stays live with ignition off (for parking video) and how do you differentiate with no suitable tools?

If you re-read Nicks first post he explains what he has used and which fuse ways he has connected the devices to.

I removed my device yesterday but did not take am images as it was just a temporary fix.

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

UPDATE

After using the three dash cams for a couple of days I am very pleased with the results.

VIOFO
A119

Produces pretty good video and has four way adjustment to the
camera lens. I have now removed this dashcam from the front windscreen
and intend to fit it to the rear screen as the four way lens adjustment
will enable me to place the dashcam in an unintrusive location and get
the lens pointed directly to the rear.

Ambarella dashcam

I had on the rear produces video of lesser quality than the A119 and so it is bound for eBay.

The Hidden Dashcam

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DEQKCB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once the initial problem of removing the base of the mirror shroud was solved it turns out to produce very good video.
The iPhone (and Android) Roro App works well to set up via WiFi the functions of the hidden cam and the App can also be used to download the video files to my iPhone or iPad.
It is wired to the OBD socket which is under the dash below the steering wheel hence simplicity itself for connection.

By the time of the Cheshire meet I shall have the A119 installed to the rear screen and wired in to the rear fuse board.

The image below is of the dashcam installed in place of the standard rear view mirror shroud, the cabling is totally hidden behind the trim.
The link below is to a video of the actual hidden dashcam footage, please note that Youtube quality is not as good as I can see on my PC. There are 3 minutes of night footage and 3 minutes of daytime video. BTW the nightime view also shows just how white the LED lights are and it also shows their coverage pattern.
[TUBE]xotIpidO2TU[/TUBE]

Col Lamb2016-11-09 15:18:01
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have added an image of the hidden dashcam and a video of actual footage from said dashcam to the prevous post
Col
Macan Turbo
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

LOL Flashing the middle lane hogger. I detest these drivers. But what do they do? Brake. Idiots.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
spook

Post by spook »

Hi Col Lamb,

Quote "Once the initial problem of removing the base of the mirror shroud was solved"

I'm interested in fitting a hidden cam, can you please advise how to to remove the mirror shroud.
Thanks
David
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Hi Col Lamb,

]Once the initial problem of removing the base of the mirror shroud was solved".......I'm interested in fitting a hidden cam,  can you please advise how to to remove the mirror shroud.

Look at this post and the image of a new rear view mirror shroud so you can see where the locking tabs are

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/dashcam_topic4299_page6.html

Then inset as large a flat bladed screwdriver into the existing slot in the bottom of the shroud, and give it a gentle but firm twist.

Insert a flat blade in to the shroud where the locking tab nearest the windscreen is located and it should pop out.

Keeping the twisting pressire applied in the slot, repeat at the other two locking tab locations.

The shroud will then split.

There is another shroud above that needs to be moved, slight pressure to it applied directly away from the windscreen will cause it to come away enough to run the cable behind it.

Split the dashcam and offer it up into position starting with the half that contains the camera and lead, offer the lead up behind the loosened shroud, offer second part of dashcam and lock the two halves together.

Push it into position and run the wire above and behind trim.

Push everything back into position

Connect extension lead and run it behind trim to under the dash where the OBD socket is located and plug it in.

Download and install App, fit Micro SD card, fire up App, turn on engine and set up WiFi between phone and dashcam, set up dashcam and youbare done
No liability is accepted if anyone screws up installing the dashcam, the above procedure worked for me but I am an Engineer hence very practical, if in doubt get it installed ProfessionallyCol Lamb2016-11-13 12:50:58
Col
Macan Turbo
spook

Post by spook »

Cheers Col,
Thanks for taking the time to supply the breakdown info i'll have see before I order one.

David

Thumbs Up
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
microbe

Post by microbe »

I went to order the camera recommended and fitted by Col today only to find they are no longer in stock.

I have found some "hidden" ones on ebay that fit around the rear view mirror case but they might be too large.

I also visited our local radio/camera installer who insisted that a 12v to 5v reducing socket was needed to plug the "cigarette lighter plug" into in order fit the camera. I will need to re-read the installation guides but I do't remember anyone mentioning this before as it would make a bulky join.

I came away thinking it might be safer to do it myself even though I'm not really a techie
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Col
Macan Turbo
microbe

Post by microbe »

Fleabay version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-HD-1080P-WIFI-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-For-Porsche-/111882684569?hash=item1a0cba4899:g:1UUAAOSw-zxWomO5

Thanks Col. One is now on order. I did look on ebay yesterday but could only come up with housing surround ones
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9