Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Thanks guys. This is very helpful especially with the pics.
I have been looking at the dashcam thing for a while and been debating it but looks pretty simple
And maybe not as bad as I thought. Just have to pick the right one now

Again thanks for the info as I am sure this will help a number of others looking too.
GTS 😀

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Update.

After using the cams for a couple of days there are a few comments I have.

The front cam gives a good image quality but does get a bit of reflection off the top of the dash so this is something to bear in mind when you are researching cameras, suggest you only consider one with a lens which will be close to the screen or one that is shrouded.

Rear camera (remember this is over two years old but was unsued until recently), well I am not to happy with the quality of the image, yes it is probably OK for most uses. I have mounted it in the top centre of the screen within the wipe area of the wiper. This means that I see it in the rear view mirror and it is positioned such that a quick glance towards the rear and it hides traffic at a distance. So after ordering some of the 3M double sided paded tape I removed it and repositioned it to the bottom left when looking at the screen. Much better as it is hardly visible in the rear view mirror.

Now to the but, because of the curvature of the screen the lens does not point directly to the rear but at an angle. I have yet to use the car with the camera in this position and I know that I am not going to be happy about it.

So I then thought of another cunning plan.

Out came the original camera which fits over rear the view mirror. I had aother go at the shroud with a flat blade screwdriver inserted into the gap of the shroud and twisted it slightly, then pushed in a small flatblade into one of the locations where the locking tabs are and pop, out it clicked, did the same with the others and the shroud came away easily. Then I applied a gently but firm pressure to the plastic cover shroud that is above where the rear view mirror shroud was and found that its retaining clips are spring loaded and it easily came away enough to route the cable through. Split the camera housing and offered the part with the camera up into the pocket in the above shroud and then offered the other half, whilst keeping the cable in a position that I could route it. Then routed the cable up to the screen, plugged in the externsion and routed it along the top of the screen and down the side piller to the power connection. Clipped all shroulds together and put back the spring retained cover shroud.

Downloaded app, turned on ignition and went into iPhone to WiFi and it found the camera's WiFi, entered password and fired up App. There on the iPhone was the camera view, adjusted settings and now ready to test out, job done in 10 minutes. The image quaity lookded pretty good, or as good as the rear of my garage can look.

The plan now is to leave the cams in place for a few days and then is the shroud cam is OK I will remove the other front facing camera and install than one on the rear screen, why I will do this is simple its lens is fully adjustable vertically and horizontally so I can point it directly to the rear.

More to follow.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
microbe

Post by microbe »

Thanks for the update Col - I think. I had more or less settled on a Thinkware 770 or Qvia AR790 as both have inbuilt battery checkers. Now that you have got the "hidden camera" in place I am re-thinking. Any chance of a picture of the installed camera?
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Apologies if you know of this company but being interested in having a front and rear view dashcam installed in my SD when I receive it but being one that has limited practical skills I found that the following company will supply a dashcam and for £135 install it professionally.

May be of interest to anyone like me who can turn the smallest DIY project into a major catastrophe LOL

http://www.dashwitness.com/product-category/dash-cams/
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Good point Bazza.

Also for the practically challenged you may want to check out Halfords who have a fitting service. They also sell the Blackvue cameras which do seem to be one of if not the best.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Thanks Col Lamb.

I didn't know that Halfords would actually install.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Update.

After using the cams for a couple of days there are a few comments I have.

The front cam gives a good image quality but does get a bit of reflection off the top of the dash so this is something to bear in mind when you are researching cameras, suggest you only consider one with a lens which will be close to the screen or one that is shrouded.

Rear camera (remember this is over two years old but was unsued until recently), well I am not to happy with the quality of the image, yes it is probably OK for most uses. I have mounted it in the top centre of the screen within the wipe area of the wiper. This means that I see it in the rear view mirror and it is positioned such that a quick glance towards the rear and it hides traffic at a distance. So after ordering some of the 3M double sided paded tape I removed it and repositioned it to the bottom left when looking at the screen. Much better as it is hardly visible in the rear view mirror.

Now to the but, because of the curvature of the screen the lens does not point directly to the rear but at an angle. I have yet to use the car with the camera in this position and I know that I am not going to be happy about it.

So I then thought of another cunning plan.

Out came the original camera which fits over rear the view mirror. I had aother go at the shroud with a flat blade screwdriver inserted into the gap of the shroud and twisted it slightly, then pushed in a small flatblade into one of the locations where the locking tabs are and pop, out it clicked, did the same with the others and the shroud came away easily. Then I applied a gently but firm pressure to the plastic cover shroud that is above where the rear view mirror shroud was and found that its retaining clips are spring loaded and it easily came away enough to route the cable through. Split the camera housing and offered the part with the camera up into the pocket in the above shroud and then offered the other half, whilst keeping the cable in a position that I could route it. Then routed the cable up to the screen, plugged in the externsion and routed it along the top of the screen and down the side piller to the power connection. Clipped all shroulds together and put back the spring retained cover shroud.

Downloaded app, turned on ignition and went into iPhone to WiFi and it found the camera's WiFi, entered password and fired up App. There on the iPhone was the camera view, adjusted settings and now ready to test out, job done in 10 minutes. The image quaity lookded pretty good, or as good as the rear of my garage can look.

The plan now is to leave the cams in place for a few days and then is the shroud cam is OK I will remove the other front facing camera and install than one on the rear screen, why I will do this is simple its lens is fully adjustable vertically and horizontally so I can point it directly to the rear.

More to follow.

Thanks for sharing the details Col! Looking forward to seeing it on the 20th and comparing notes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Peter_L

Post by Peter_L »

Apologies if you know of this company but being interested in having a front and rear view dashcam installed in my SD when I receive it but being one that has limited practical skills I found that the following company will supply a dashcam and for £135 install it professionally.

May be of interest to anyone like me who can turn the smallest DIY project into a major catastrophe LOL

http://www.dashwitness.com/product-category/dash-cams/

The thing that stopped me doing DIY was figuring out how to route past this lot as it involved lots and lots of panel removal.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is what I did with the cable:-

Route the cable along the top of the screen to the A pillar tucking the cable behind the roof trim

Then with the door open, feed it across the top of the airbag cover on the A pillar to the door seal.

Feed it down the door seal, and just behind the trim.

Take off the fuse cover

Feed the cable behind the trim into the area by the fuses.

Wire it into a spare fuse with a piggy back fuse connector and voltage protector (no intrusive wiring connections made hence no potential warranty hastle)

This route looks to take the cable behind all the airbags
Col
Macan Turbo
microbe

Post by microbe »

Does it matter which fuse is used? I presume they all become live when ignition is switched on but do I need to use one that stays live with ignition off (for parking video) and how do you differentiate with no suitable tools?
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9