Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

Thanks for all the information provided on this topic so far - it has definitely helped my planning for when the car arrives, which is hopefully not too long now. Think I'm going to go for a Thinkware F770 front + rear. If it was just the front then I would have just about been happy enough to have a go at hardwiring it in myself, but as the rear needs connecting through to the front unit too I think I'm going to let someone who know what they are doing have a go instead! I'll report back with pictures / demo footage as and when it gets installed.

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Simon, if it helps I used this company in Nottingham (https://lukashd.co.uk/product/qvia-ar790-wd-2ch-dash-camera/) and went for their recommended Qvia AR790

Originally I was going for the same dashcam as you but they recommended the Qvia.

I had it installed a their premises and they did a great job.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Bazza06,
Did you need to buy extra kit to connect the 2 Qvia or everything in the box is enough? For instance ,to get parking mode , do you need to buy extra cables?

Are you happy with the quality of the video Front&Rear?

Did you upgrade the SD card , if so which one did you buy ?

They charge £170 Inc Vat for installing everywhere in UK, seems a good value.
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Simon, if it helps I used this company in Nottingham (https://lukashd.co.uk/product/qvia-ar790-wd-2ch-dash-camera/) and went for their recommended Qvia AR790

Originally I was going for the same dashcam as you but they recommended the Qvia.

I had it installed a their premises and they did a great job.

Do you use the ADAS bits? Seems to overlap on built-in features of the car.
Hard to believe they felt the need to have a FVSA feature! Perhaps that's for blind drivers :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Do you use the ADAS bits? Seems to overlap on built-in features of the car.
Hard to believe they felt the need to have a FVSA feature! Perhaps that's for blind drivers :)

No I haven't even tried any of those in fact I don't even know what the front vehicle start alarm is!

Just using purely for recording when driving and the parking mode although the latter can consume a lot of space on the memory card if you're parked in an area where there is a lot off movement nearby.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Thought I'd add a couple of pictures following my dashcam install.

You may recall that I was concerned about the potential removal of panels for the rear cam but that wasn't necessary and I cannot see any evidence of the wiring hence I didn't take pics of the headlining as I'm told it's in there but for the life of me I can't see where it might be.

Rear camera.

The wiring from the rear cam was fed into this.

I'm told the wiring from the rear cam can be seen behind this airbag plug.

This is the front facing camera and this is all I see of the wiring.

How is this working out Bazza?

Just a little concerned that the dashcam looks to be installed behind an unsweeped area of the rear screen
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Hi Col,

My picture of the rear view cam does look misleading although there is minimal distance between the lens and the unswept area. Hopefully these images show it better and the clarity of the image.

Bazza062017-01-21 15:06:23
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

That looks like a high spec camera Bazza. Can you read number plates of cars coming towards you on video playback? Is there a silent mode, i.e. one which turns off voice status, etc? What is night time performance like?Nuclear Nick2017-01-21 16:28:34
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

The audio can be turned off.

Depending on the conditions and speed I have picked out number plates of vehicles in the opposite direction. Below is a short video showing the quality of both front and rear cams. The light was fading but you can see when I drive into Costco that the plates of vehicles in front of me are easily seen.

Bonus point for anyone spotting a Macan in the video. Extra point if it was you Smile

I will find some night footage and post that later.

[TUBE]ikYAQ5SNJy8[/TUBE]
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Bazza06,
Did you need to buy extra kit to connect the 2 Qvia or everything in the box is enough? For instance ,to get parking mode , do you need to buy extra cables?

Did you upgrade the SD card size , if so which one did you buy ?
Cheers
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86