Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sounds like an interesting installation Trued. You have both front and rear cameras? Powered separately? Some pictures of your setup would be good. :)
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

I want to get a dashcam fitted to my GTS.
Can anyone recommend an installer in the Leicestershire area?
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

It took me less than 15 minutes to fit my fr & rear dashcam in Norfolk, probably the same in other counties. (there should be a smiley face here, but not working for me.)
About 95% of the cable runs are behind trim - across top of w/screen, behind door rubber seals etc. There are places where short lengths of the cables are visible but secure and the route from rear camera into the car to allow the rear door to open is less than ideal. I used a few small black cable self adhesive cable ties, but the don't last long and fall off. However I can't see any of it against the black trim while driving. I also have a 'Cheetah' GPS camera detector fitted in the same way. If you want a fit that is 100% perfect and behind fixed trim or wired in as some have done, then you will need an auto electrician. With DIY, it's all very easy to remove, ready for the next Macan!
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am It took me less than 15 minutes to fit my fr & rear dashcam in Norfolk, probably the same in other counties. (there should be a smiley face here, but not working for me.)
About 95% of the cable runs are behind trim - across top of w/screen, behind door rubber seals etc.

Add another 30min to that and you can hide 100% of the wires behind the trim, front and back ;)
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Hitman999 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 5:11 pm I want to get a dashcam fitted to my GTS.
Hi, I used a place in Nottingham which, I guess, isn't too far from you? The owner has 2 Macan GTS in the family and was able to show me the install on his own GTS so quite reassuring. Details are:

TTW Distribution Limited
Unit 15 Lloyd Street, Nottingham, NG5 4BX

I went for a twin cam set up and it works very well indeed.

Rigger
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

jk88 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 6:50 am
Bigboyrolo wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am It took me less than 15 minutes to fit my fr & rear dashcam in Norfolk, probably the same in other counties. (there should be a smiley face here, but not working for me.)
About 95% of the cable runs are behind trim - across top of w/screen, behind door rubber seals etc.

Add another 30min to that and you can hide 100% of the wires behind the trim, front and back ;)
Probably correct but look at my signature ........
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Rich291

Post by Rich291 »

I bought the Thinkware F770 and have only the front camera installed at the moment. Worried about the curtain airbag, I removed the A-pillar trim to take a look behind. The airbag runs up the a-pillar almost from the dashboard and then on towards the rear as a single piece. After seeing that I did not feel comfortable running the cable over the top of the a-pillar trim and then into the door seal. I'm sure that the cable would not stop the airbag deploying, but I wouldn't want it whipping my passenger in the face either. I also don't want to run the cable for the rear camera along the top of the door trim for the same reason - I think that I'll need to find a route at floor level.

A question for anyone that has this camera - have you found a way of shutting it up? I hate the voice that gibbers away at you everytime you drive off telling you how many people walked down the pavement or whatever. I've set the volume to zero but it doesn't seem to make a difference to this.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDV5E18
GTS ordered Nov 2015, Build date 8 Aug 2016
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

Rigger wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 am
Hitman999 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 5:11 pm I want to get a dashcam fitted to my GTS.
Hi, I used a place in Nottingham which, I guess, isn't too far from you? The owner has 2 Macan GTS in the family and was able to show me the install on his own GTS so quite reassuring. Details are:

TTW Distribution Limited
Unit 15 Lloyd Street, Nottingham, NG5 4BX

I went for a twin cam set up and it works very well indeed.

Rigger
Thanks for that. Nottingham is not too far. How long did the install take? Which dashcam did you get installed?
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Hi, I went for a Qvia 790 twin cam set up. I also asked them to rig a dummy lead so that if ever I need to take the car to the OPC for warranty work I can remove the piggy back connectors in the fuse box and put the car back to standard to stop any arguments arising. With the dummy lead I can just revert to using the cigarette lighter as a power sourc.

Although it is daft that Porsche are ok with dash cams being fitted so long as they are plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Using piggy back fuses isnt much different as you are not making invasive changes to the syste,. Anyway, mine has been running for 3 months now with no issues at all. Oh and the install took about 2 hours.....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I am also looking at to install a "Twin" Dashcam, so Qvia 790 or Thinkware F770 ?
unfortunately I did not find anything on the Net where testing has been made side by side, they seem very similar, Thinkware F770 is a little bit cheaper than the Qvia 790 but it's marginal, same features, both are very close so which one to choose?
any good tips that could help me to make up my mind ?
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86