Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:08 am
Fairynuff wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 am On the subject of 'piggy back' 'Fuse tap' 'Ad a fuse' fuse adds. The supplier of my cam suggests that not all fuses are universal to all cars. Any suggestions on which / what type / best quality? The pic here shows some for sale on Amazon.
Yes, there are many different types of fuse. I need to check which piggyback holders I used as it was done a little while ago. As soon as it stops raining........!
The fuses in my MY 2017 Turbo are 'standard' size, ie not 'mini', so you need standard size piggy back connectors.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 pm The fuses in my MY 2017 Turbo are 'standard' size, ie not 'mini', so you need standard size piggy back connectors.
Thanks
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Before I put my screw driver in that slot at the bottom of that panel, can someone confirm that is the best way to get that panel off to access the fuses?

I ask the OPC if the could tell me which fuses have what function so that I could identify which ones to tap into and the flat out refused on the basis of they gave me that info and things went wrong I would sue them and they would have to pay me zillions!!!

I have the tools to identify a permanently live fuse and a fuse that only live when the ignition is on but I have now way of identifying the fuses I should avoid e.g. air-bags; does anyone have the key to which fuse does what?

DSC00166.JPG

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

How did you get the cam wire over and down this pillar?

DSC00167.JPG

Davidone

Post by Davidone »

All
Just collected my nice new Macan.
i asked OPC for a quote to hard wire a DC.
SE told me they were unable to even quote, if they did the work,"it may cause a vehicle fire plus may invalidate the Porsche warranty"
Has you ever heard such a lot of unadulterated b******S.

Anyone know how to get this job done as I've no interest in starting to take the car to bits myself??
djkentai

Post by djkentai »

Davidone wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:58 pm All
Just collected my nice new Macan.
i asked OPC for a quote to hard wire a DC.
SE told me they were unable to even quote, if they did the work,"it may cause a vehicle fire plus may invalidate the Porsche warranty"
Has you ever heard such a lot of unadulterated b******S.

Anyone know how to get this job done as I've no interest in starting to take the car to bits myself??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: totally agree with your unadulterated B±±±±±±S conclusion to that answer
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm I have the tools to identify a permanently live fuse and a fuse that only live when the ignition is on but I have now way of identifying the fuses I should avoid e.g. air-bags; does anyone have the key to which fuse does what?
There's got to be a manual somewhere with this info (which fuse does what) - how do I find it?
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 pm
Fairynuff wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm I have the tools to identify a permanently live fuse and a fuse that only live when the ignition is on but I have now way of identifying the fuses I should avoid e.g. air-bags; does anyone have the key to which fuse does what?
There's got to be a manual somewhere with this info (which fuse does what) - how do I find it?
It is with much embarrassment that I must report that reading the owners manual starting page 103 there is a chapter on the fuse boxes and fuses. My miserable excuse is that this is my first Porsche after 3 Audi Q5's and the Audi user manual did not have this information.

All that said it starts by saying "One fuse box is located in the luggage compartment on right in direction of traffic. Two further fuse boxes are located in the front left footwell, at the outer ends of the dashboard on the drivers and passenger sides." (I presume it's been translated from German to English by someone in China!)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm Before I put my screw driver in that slot at the bottom of that panel, can someone confirm that is the best way to get that panel off to access the fuses?

I ask the OPC if the could tell me which fuses have what function so that I could identify which ones to tap into and the flat out refused on the basis of they gave me that info and things went wrong I would sue them and they would have to pay me zillions!!!

I have the tools to identify a permanently live fuse and a fuse that only live when the ignition is on but I have now way of identifying the fuses I should avoid e.g. air-bags; does anyone have the key to which fuse does what?
I used a plastic scraper, pic at the start of this thread. Once you’ve opened a gap big enough you can start to pull with your finger tips. It’s held in place with fairly strong spring clips.

I see you’ve answered your own question re fuse ID. Porsche actually include a lot of useful information in the manual. It’s a shame so many don’t read it! Once you have the panel off you can see the empty fuse slots that I used which hopefully are the same on your car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:33 pm How did you get the cam wire over and down this pillar?
Very carefully used my plastic scraper to push the wire into the gap. The gap can gradually be opened slightly to persuade the wire into the space behind the top edge of the panel. Take your time! Once you’ve got it around the top you can run it down the pillar behind the rubber door seal.
Last edited by Nuclear Nick on Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold