Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Guy

Post by Guy »

Not sure that I could live with that front cam position! My Blackvue is mounted slightly to the left of centre and I can barely see it from the driver's seat as it's virtually obscured by the rear view mirror. (Mine's RHD, by the way!)

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

And mine does not even look like a dashcam
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

And mine does not even look like a dashcam

Does your car even have its own duvet?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Yes Luke.

I tuck it up each night and read it a bedtime story about life on the open road......... you know a typical Fairy Story.......me, him, the road, and no traffic.

Wink

Col Lamb2017-02-06 17:49:10
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

Yes Luke.

I tuck it up each night and read it a bedtime story about life on the open road......... you know a typical Fairy Story.......me, him, the road, and no traffic.

Wink

Luke???? I may live overseas, but much further to the South and East. Here's a frontal view of mine:
Thamaturge

Post by Thamaturge »

Hi

I did think about placing mine in a similar position but I thought that it would obscure my wife's view of the world at that level and make it a bit more challenging to remove the SD card quickly if I had to for any reason???? Plus, I believe that I should get used to having it in the position I've chosen over time but I can always raise it higher or swap it to the same position as your later if it does not work out where it is currently.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Understood! Mine has a button on the right that I can press for 10 seconds to reformat the SD card.Wink
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Thanks for answering my questions Thamaturge, and for attaching the pics. All good information for those doing their own installation.

I too am a little concerned over the front cam siting. You may want to check against this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/407676/Information_Sheet_View_to_the_front_and_windscreen_obscuration.pdf

Your cam looks in the photos as if it encroaches on Zone A which, if it does, would cause Plod an issue and be an MoT failure, quite apart from obscuring part of your view. This is why cams are generally located to the left of the mirror. Your cam is quite bulky too.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

I took delivery of my GTS today but the chap I have installing my dash cam is busy fitting a fleet of vehicles all week so mine is booked in for Sunday. I too have decided on the F770 for the same reasons as Thamaturge but I have zero confidence in my own ability not to wreck the interior so letting a professional do it! I am intending to have the rear camera in the same sort of position, but the front cam either immediately below the rear view mirror or possibly off to the left. Will post some pics of the finished work - hopefully on Sunday!
Guy

Post by Guy »

I just nipped down to the garage and took a couple of photos of mine.
Driver's eye view:
And from above the steering wheel:
The dashcam's lens is slightly off to left-of-centre but this makes little difference in use as the viewing angle is so large. I figured it was more important to be hidden from the driver's line of sight.