Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm I fitted a new Thinkware F70 to Mrs B's Fiat 500 before Christmas, she wanted her car asap to empty Sainsbury's shelves, so no time to set the clock, although I see that the date was correct. 2 hours later on the way home, a car did a U turn in front of her, resulting in a spell in hospital and the car written off - all perfectly recorded in 1080p with sound.
Incredible - I hope the driver of the other car was prosecuted and banned

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Fairynuff wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm Incredible - I hope the driver of the other car was prosecuted and banned
The solicitor told us, probabaly not, to reduce workload on the courts, depends on the state of license, probably a driving awareness course, though I doubt we will ever know.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:48 pm
What a dreadful thing to have happen. So sorry your wife was injured by this idiot. Is there a prosecution pending? Sadly, exactly the reason my cars and bikes are fitted with cameras. Hope your wife recovers fully and hasn’t lost confidence.
Thanks Nick, pleased to report that wife is now able to cook, wash dishes, change beds etc so am back to my normal lifestyle! I earn the dosh, she spends it.
The solicitor told us that in cases like this, they probably won't prosecute, but put him on some sort of driving awareness course. He was 35/40 fit & sober, just made a stupid mistake. Of course we have no knowledge of his driving history and not sure we will ever know the outcome though.
Thankfully no loss of confidence, as she explains, knowing she did nothing wrong is what matters.
I used to ride a big powerful bike, as you probably do now, if this happened in front of you I suppose you would be really badly injured - take care out there.
BTW - I have a mate nicknamed Nuclear Mike, he used to 'play' with nuclear weapons when he was in the RAF, and never stops telling us hair raising tales.
Thanks again
Good to hear your wife is back to her normal duties BBR!
Yes, re riding bikes, as a Police instructor once told me - you have to believe that everyone out there is trying to kill you! Anticipation is everything. not just about what you can see but also what you can't see. The golden safety rule is that you ride (or drive) at a speed at which you are able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear, on your own side of the road.
My nuclear connection was non-military, power generation in fact, and I'm pleased to say I don't have any hair raising tales!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 am Power is supplied to the cam from the passenger side fusebox via a battery protector and power pack that reduces the voltage down to 5.5v. Spare fuse slots 6 and 10 in Fuse Carrier A provide permanent and ignition controlled 12v respectively. I used two piggyback connectors from Halfords in these slots, fitted with 5A fuses.
Great post - thanks.
1. Do we know if the fuse box in a new Macan is the same layout as this pic from OP?
2. At the risk of being picky . . I would have liked a close up of those wires going into where they went and how they got in there. I note you used piggyback connectors, I have no experience of using those or how they fit and I can see on-line that there are different types. I also don't know how or where the 5am fuse fits in?
3. I see the arrow pointing to a black box which is the battery protector (bought and fitted separately) but there's an arrow below that pointing to 5.5v supply - is that already in there or something you fitted?

NN1.JPG

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

On the subject of 'piggy back' 'Fuse tap' 'Ad a fuse' fuse adds. The supplier of my cam suggests that not all fuses are universal to all cars. Any suggestions on which / what type / best quality? The pic here shows some for sale on Amazon.

fuse.JPG

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 am Power is supplied to the cam from the passenger side fusebox via a battery protector and power pack that reduces the voltage down to 5.5v. Spare fuse slots 6 and 10 in Fuse Carrier A provide permanent and ignition controlled 12v respectively. I used two piggyback connectors from Halfords in these slots, fitted with 5A fuses.
Great post - thanks.
1. Do we know if the fuse box in a new Macan is the same layout as this pic from OP?
2. At the risk of being picky . . I would have liked a close up of those wires going into where they went and how they got in there. I note you used piggyback connectors, I have no experience of using those or how they fit and I can see on-line that there are different types. I also don't know how or where the 5am fuse fits in?
3. I see the arrow pointing to a black box which is the battery protector (bought and fitted separately) but there's an arrow below that pointing to 5.5v supply - is that already in there or something you fitted?
1. Can't say I'm afraid, although the facelift is pretty minor so could be the same.
2. As the other pics and my description tried to make clear, the cable from the cam routes down the door pillar behind the rubber seal. The pic with the power pack etc in it just shows the cable entering the fuse box right at the bottom, from behind the door seal. The 5.5v power pack came with the camera. It's a little bulky but can just be pushed in and secured with a tie wrap, also seen in this pic. The supply to this power pack comes from the battery saver. The battery saver is powered by the two wires from the piggy back fuse holders. The earth connection is the stud at the top of the pic. The piggy back fuse holders plug into two unused holders, one continuous 12v, the other ignition controlled. The piggyback fuse holder has two locations for fuses. One is not used as they plug into unused (ie empty) holders in the fuse board, the other takes the 5A fuse which is supplying the battery saver. You can see the 5A fuses plugged into the top of the piggyback fuse holders.
3. Answered above.
Hope that's clear, but let me know if not.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 am On the subject of 'piggy back' 'Fuse tap' 'Ad a fuse' fuse adds. The supplier of my cam suggests that not all fuses are universal to all cars. Any suggestions on which / what type / best quality? The pic here shows some for sale on Amazon.
Yes, there are many different types of fuse. I need to check which piggyback holders I used as it was done a little while ago. As soon as it stops raining........!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Fairynuff wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am 1. Do we know if the fuse box in a new Macan is the same layout as this pic from OP?
I looked for pics on line and came across the users manual which showed a diagram pic which has 3 columns of fuses i.e. a different layout

fusebox.JPG

Last edited by Fairynuff on Thu May 09, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

One is the driver’s side and one is the passenger side.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:39 am
Fairynuff wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am 1. Do we know if the fuse box in a new Macan is the same layout as this pic from OP?
I looked for pics on line and came across the users manual which showed a diagram pic which has 3 columns of fuses i.e. a different layout
The manual refers to driver's and passenger's sides as in left-hand drive cars.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold