Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Thanks for answering my questions Thamaturge, and for attaching the pics. All good information for those doing their own installation.

I too am a little concerned over the front cam siting. You may want to check against this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/407676/Information_Sheet_View_to_the_front_and_windscreen_obscuration.pdf

Your cam looks in the photos as if it encroaches on Zone A which, if it does, would cause Plod an issue and be an MoT failure, quite apart from obscuring part of your view. This is why cams are generally located to the left of the mirror. Your cam is quite bulky too.

Damn it Nick................that means the Furry Dice have to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Col Lamb2017-02-08 16:45:18
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Simonc

Post by Simonc »

I got my F770 installed yesterday (done by a local professional installer for £90) so thought I'd post up some pictures of that too. I ended up getting the front unit installed just off to the passenger side of the rear view mirror so I can barely see it is there at all from the driving position. The potential downside is that the camera is on the far left of the unit looking forward, so the camera's view won't be exactly square on from the front, but from the stationary footage it doesn't look like it will be all that noticeable. Also it is difficult to see the buttons from the driving position, but as I don't really want to be pushing them while driving anyway I don't see that as being an issue, and it is easy enough to lean over to see them if required once stationary.

The rear unit is basically in the same place as thamaturge's. I don't have any proper footage from it yet as I haven't been out in the car since I got it installed, but it is picking up motion-detected parking footage just fine. I will try to get some footage from it in action later on - should be able to get both some daytime and night footage which I will hopefully link to once I've uploaded it somewhere suitable.

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

What size memory card are you using?

Mine came with a 16GB but with parking motion activated I was getting no more than a days footage as it picks up every movement it detects and unless you're parked in a garage it will get everything that moves nearby both front and back.

I replaced the 16GB with a 64GB and this lasts a lot longer.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

Mine came with a 32GB - will have to see how much footage that is able to keep. Think it gives different types of recording (e.g. Parking, continuous, manual etc.) different quotas for their respective folders but not entirely sure what those are or if you can change them.Simonc2017-02-13 15:32:27
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Mine (QVIA) AR790 is set to continuous and takes 3 minute videos throughout the journey.

When I exit the vehicle the dashcam automatically reverts to parking mode and will take video whenever motion is detected.

I can set it to not engage parking mode and there is a button that I can press for emergency recording.

I presume this is for me capturing someone beating me up providing I ask the assailant to hold fire whilst I push the button and then shout "ACTION" once I'm positioned in front of the camera!
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

I managed to get a bit of demo footage put together from my drive to and from work. The first video is daytime footage from the front camera, second one is daytime from the rear camera, and finally some night driving footage from the front. The 3rd one also shows how the F770 speed cam warnings work with an audio cue 200 yards and then 100 yards to go, along with the speed limit (about 1:28 in). I was quite impressed with the speed camera warnings - it was spot on about two fixed cameras on the way to work, as well as three average speed cameras in each direction too.

Apologies for the annoying voiceover - I hadn't actually realised the audio was recording, but as you can see when you activate the manual record it includes from ~10 seconds before you press and continues for about 1 minute from that point.

The rear night time footage was a bit murky as the rear windscreen was muckier than I realised on the drive home so I didn't bother uploading that. There is a bit of reflection on the front camera footage but overall not too bad I don't think, and the offset to the left doesn't seem too problematic either. I expect if I really wanted to I could reposition it directly below the rear view mirror to make it more central and cut down on some reflection, but then the camera itself would be visible to me while driving.

[TUBE]w5VDkj1icMo[/TUBE]

[TUBE]NSUXw48BRxU[/TUBE]

[TUBE]xcpkxW3WgQw[/TUBE]

Simonc2017-02-14 00:37:54
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Nice clear images you have there Simon.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Peter_L

Post by Peter_L »

Nice clear images you have there Simon.

Actually, it's lost a bit in it's youtube encoding, straight from camera it's a lot cleaner!
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

Yes it is actually a bit clearer pre-youtube. Also as I had the radio on youtube picked up on a couple of songs in the background which meant the clips contained copyrighted material to begin with - I just went for the option of youtube automatically removing them which is why the audio is a bit disjointed at times.
Trued

Post by Trued »

I love my Garmin NuviCam with a Wireless camera mounted right above the licenceplate. Almost invisible. Easy to take 12V from the left side in the trunk. The NüviCam also have a forward facing camera with not only videofunction but also a collision warning system. The GPS is so much better and chaeaper compared to Porsches systems.
- 2017 Porsche Macan
- 2004 SAAB 9-3 AERO CV
- 1978 SAAB 99 TURBO 3D Rally,RAC '78 S. Blomqvist
- 1977 SAAB 99 TURBO 3D
- 1977 SAAB 99 TURBO 4D Pre-Prod.
- 1966 SAAB 96 MonteCarlo V4 Rally