Dashcam Installation

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Frenchy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:26 pm I am also looking at to install a "Twin" Dashcam, so Qvia 790 or Thinkware F770 ?
unfortunately I did not find anything on the Net where testing has been made side by side, they seem very similar, Thinkware F770 is a little bit cheaper than the Qvia 790 but it's marginal, same features, both are very close so which one to choose?
any good tips that could help me to make up my mind ?
I have the twin camera F750. Compared to the Qvia, whose rear camera is rather large and sits in a bulky bracket, the F750 rear camera is tiny and mounts on a small built in bracket with a self adhesive pad. Much neater. The front camera looks to be a similar size, the main difference is that on the Qvia, the camera is central in the body but the F750/770 is at one end, which may make positioning it easier/harder for your preference. My front camera is to the right of the rv mirror, behind my sun visor which is always down so I never see the camera. I covered any front shiny bits on the camera with black tape, so it's very difficult to see from outside the car. As for features such as LDW, speed camera warnings and forward collision, I've turned them all off, I found them far too intrusive and over-cautious. I use a separate 'Cheetah' GPS camera warning gadget, really tiny with a digital speed readout and very adjustable settings, it sits to the left of the front camera with just the digital speed reading visible from behind the sun visor.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 pm
Frenchy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:26 pm I am also looking at to install a "Twin" Dashcam, so Qvia 790 or Thinkware F770 ?
unfortunately I did not find anything on the Net where testing has been made side by side, they seem very similar, Thinkware F770 is a little bit cheaper than the Qvia 790 but it's marginal, same features, both are very close so which one to choose?
any good tips that could help me to make up my mind ?
I have the twin camera F750. Compared to the Qvia, whose rear camera is rather large and sits in a bulky bracket, the F750 rear camera is tiny and mounts on a small built in bracket with a self adhesive pad. Much neater. The front camera looks to be a similar size, the main difference is that on the Qvia, the camera is central in the body but the F750/770 is at one end, which may make positioning it easier/harder for your preference. My front camera is to the right of the rv mirror, behind my sun visor which is always down so I never see the camera. I covered any front shiny bits on the camera with black tape, so it's very difficult to see from outside the car. As for features such as LDW, speed camera warnings and forward collision, I've turned them all off, I found them far too intrusive and over-cautious. I use a separate 'Cheetah' GPS camera warning gadget, really tiny with a digital speed readout and very adjustable settings, it sits to the left of the front camera with just the digital speed reading visible from behind the sun visor.

Thank you very much for the feedback, the Thinkware seems a good catch. :)
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
Guy

Post by Guy »

Here's another good reason to install a dashcam: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... h-attempt/
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

What will they try next? Unbelievable! Pity she didn't keep quiet about the camera until the cops arrived.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Guy

Post by Guy »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 pm What will they try next? Unbelievable! Pity she didn't keep quiet about the camera until the cops arrived.
Yes, I think I would have kept quiet about the camera in case they tried to nick it and destroy the evidence. If in doubt, call the police!
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

The pics here are of my current (10 year old) cam. It's only 10cm x 4cm and fits nicely behind/side of the r v mirror. Of course I don't know what space is available there on the Macan. In listing my priorities for a new cam for the new car size matters.
My essentials/desirables for the next cam in order of priority are:
1. Reliable
2. Small enough to fit behind/besides the mirror (current cam is 10cm x 4cm (perfect size (see pics)).
3. Attaches in a way that does not dangle down.
4. Takes pictures/film clips clear enough to zoom in on and read number plates.
5. Wires directly into the fuse panel.
6. Camera comes on/records if someone walks in front of it or if the car is touched (door handle tried).
7. Comes with an app so I can see clips on my phone.

What I don't need is a screen at the back.

Which camera(s) fit that description?

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I fitted a MiWitness in the Macan and more recently a Blackvue 900 in the 911. Check out their products on their websites - I think they mostly fit your requirements. Other cameras are available!

When you say 'wires directly into fuse panel', and you also say you want it to operate while parked, then you need to connect it via a power pack that will protect your battery from being flattened. Note though that once the power pack detects the battery voltage has reached the cut-off then it will disconnect the camera. The MiWitness power pack has a lower setting of 11.5v and the Blackvue 11.8 (IIRC). I find that in the 911 the cut-off voltage is reached fairly soon, which is a disadvantage. As with all these purchases you will need to do your homework to make sure whatever you decide on is going to suit your purpose.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Fairynuff wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 am The pics here are of my current (10 year old) cam. It's only 10cm x 4cm and fits nicely behind/side of the r v mirror. Of course I don't know what space is available there on the Macan. In listing my priorities for a new cam for the new car size matters.
1. Reliable
2. Small enough to fit behind/besides the mirror (current cam is 10cm x 4cm (perfect size (see pics)).
6. Camera comes on/records if someone walks in front of it or if the car is touched (door handle tried).

Not mine for sure but do fit a dashcam, whatever brand/type/look suits you. I've always been a strong advocate of having one.

I fitted a new Thinkware F70 to Mrs B's Fiat 500 before Christmas, she wanted her car asap to empty Sainsbury's shelves, so no time to set the clock, although I see that the date was correct. 2 hours later on the way home, a car did a U turn in front of her, resulting in a spell in hospital and the car written off - all perfectly recorded in 1080p with sound. Unless you see the footage, its hard to accept how the crash occurred - surely she could have avoided the other car? - great to have undisputed evidence, her lights were on, doing about 25mph and double white lines in centre of road (you don't expect the Spanish Inqisition). 4 weeks later she is recovering well from a fractured sternum, bruised ribs and lots of soft tissue damage, no win no fee PI injury claim in hand.

Footage here - https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=ht ... z=41943040

Although the F70 will not do all the above, no wifi to download to a phone, the card needs to be in a computer to be read by the software but it does have an energy saving parking mode and saftey camera warning (GPS reqd) plus a few other bits of software. Its only about 3" long and fits out of sight behind the rv mirror in the Fiat. Fitting took about 10 minutes with 99% of the power wire concealed, its since been in two loan cars and now the replacement Fiat, I put black elect tape over any shiny bits to help conceal it. Link here:- https://thinkwaredashcam.store/product/ ... h-cam-f70/

Its the smallest and least expensive they do, I paid £79 then added the GPS gizmo for location and speed info. I have the larger F750 with rear camera in the Porsche, 4th car its been fitted to, I just plug it in, I don't consider parking mode relevant to me. Am now thinking that the Fiat needs a rear camera because I understand that most accidents occur near home in built up areas, rather than cruising along an Autobahn at 100+mph.

So, buy one now, imo you really don't need a screen , fit it immediately - it could pay off, esp to your 'town' car.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm
Fairynuff wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 am The pics here are of my current (10 year old) cam. It's only 10cm x 4cm and fits nicely behind/side of the r v mirror. Of course I don't know what space is available there on the Macan. In listing my priorities for a new cam for the new car size matters.
1. Reliable

Not mine for sure but do fit a dashcam, whatever brand/type/look suits you. I've always been a strong advocate of having one.

I fitted a new Thinkware F70 to Mrs B's Fiat 500 before Christmas, she wanted her car asap to empty Sainsbury's shelves, so no time to set the clock, although I see that the date was correct. 2 hours later on the way home, a car did a U turn in front of her, resulting in a spell in hospital and the car written off - all perfectly recorded in 1080p with sound. Unless you see the footage, its hard to accept how the crash occurred - surely she could have avoided the other car? - great to have undisputed evidence, her lights were on, doing about 25mph and double white lines in centre of road (you don't expect the Spanish Inqisition). 4 weeks later she is recovering well from a fractured sternum, bruised ribs and lots of soft tissue damage, no win no fee PI injury claim in hand.

Footage here - https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=ht ... z=41943040

Although the F70 will not do all the above, no wifi to download to a phone, the card needs to be in a computer to be read by the software but it does have an energy saving parking mode and saftey camera warning (GPS reqd) plus a few other bits of software. Its only about 3" long and fits out of sight behind the rv mirror in the Fiat. Fitting took about 10 minutes with 99% of the power wire concealed, its since been in two loan cars and now the replacement Fiat, I put black elect tape over any shiny bits to help conceal it. Link here:- https://thinkwaredashcam.store/product/ ... h-cam-f70/

Its the smallest and least expensive they do, I paid £79 then added the GPS gizmo for location and speed info. I have the larger F750 with rear camera in the Porsche, 4th car its been fitted to, I just plug it in, I don't consider parking mode relevant to me. Am now thinking that the Fiat needs a rear camera because I understand that most accidents occur near home in built up areas, rather than cruising along an Autobahn at 100+mph.

So, buy one now, imo you really don't need a screen , fit it immediately - it could pay off, esp to your 'town' car.
What a dreadful thing to have happen. So sorry your wife was injured by this idiot. Is there a prosecution pending? Sadly, exactly the reason my cars and bikes are fitted with cameras. Hope your wife recovers fully and hasn’t lost confidence.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:48 pm
What a dreadful thing to have happen. So sorry your wife was injured by this idiot. Is there a prosecution pending? Sadly, exactly the reason my cars and bikes are fitted with cameras. Hope your wife recovers fully and hasn’t lost confidence.
Thanks Nick, pleased to report that wife is now able to cook, wash dishes, change beds etc so am back to my normal lifestyle! I earn the dosh, she spends it.
The solicitor told us that in cases like this, they probably won't prosecute, but put him on some sort of driving awareness course. He was 35/40 fit & sober, just made a stupid mistake. Of course we have no knowledge of his driving history and not sure we will ever know the outcome though.
Thankfully no loss of confidence, as she explains, knowing she did nothing wrong is what matters.
I used to ride a big powerful bike, as you probably do now, if this happened in front of you I suppose you would be really badly injured - take care out there.
BTW - I have a mate nicknamed Nuclear Mike, he used to 'play' with nuclear weapons when he was in the RAF, and never stops telling us hair raising tales.
Thanks again