CarPlay iOS10.3

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So iOS10.3 updated yesterday.

CarPlay updates minimal; just a few small improvements here and there. Nice to see.

Supposedly you can now ask Siri about fuel levels and other stuff, but wasn't able to take the car out to try it out today.

Siri

● Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps

CarPlay

● Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps

● Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song's album

● Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

arcamalpha

Post by arcamalpha »

Always nice to get a few incremental updates.

Still can't get Carplay to work for me though. Any tips? It'll play music from my phone and calls via blutooth but not sure how to bring up the carplay screen.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Always nice to get a few incremental updates.

Still can't get Carplay to work for me though. Any tips? It'll play music from my phone and calls via blutooth but not sure how to bring up the carplay screen.

Plug your iPhone into the car with the USB cable in the arm rest box.
It should just show up.

Actually, I think at that point you get to choose between iPod or CarPlay mode (PCM asks this first time you connect your phone).

If you've already gone past that and it's in iPod mode, then you tap the bottom-left-hand corner of the PCM screen to bring up the data screen, then there should be an option to switch between iPod and CarPlay. It'll remember for next time.

jetbox

Post by jetbox »

You also need to enable CarPlay on the iPhone too, under settings/general I think
goron59

Post by goron59 »

You also need to enable CarPlay on the iPhone too, under settings/general I think

I think that happens automatically when you plug it in first time. It 'pairs' with the car.
After that you can go in there and turn it off, switch to wifi mode (not supported by Porsche though).

arcamalpha

Post by arcamalpha »

Thanks-I hadn't done this bit. I think the manual just says to plug it in which wasn't getting me anywhere.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I didn't have to enable it on mine though and have connected it to 3 different cars.

Regardless, the CarPlay connection was the least complicated bit of the whole PCM/phone thing - shouldn't be difficult.

If you're still having difficulties after trying this, post more details of your setup (phone model, iOS version, cable make (some are power only, don't carry data), PCM version etc.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I asked Siri this morning how much fuel I had left in the car.

(because "Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps")

Siri said: Can't tell you that because Porsche need to pull their finger out and support the full CarPlay spec, but they probably won't because they're sh*t.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I know I have an accent but when I asked Siri to play Bad Moon Rising by John Fogerty and it said ..........playing Bad Moon Rising by John F*ck it say
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
happy days

Post by happy days »

I Find Siri via the carto be completely useless on voice activation. Handheld, it's actually pretty good.

I tried having a text conversation with my daughter when I got the Boxster in November, but gave up as it plainly didn't get it at all. Handheld, it's SOOOO good for voice dictation. iPhone 7 BTW.
Macan S D
718 S