Three 24GB/24 month SIM on Amazon again

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

It's a shame, as apart from help on the tech side, the OPC have been top notch. I think that the in-car tech is moving more quickly than the knowledge of some SEs.

Yes, but why do they offer BS advice instead of saying I don't know I'll get someone who does. Assuming there is at least one person in the OPC with a grip on this. Might be an assumption too far.

I genuinely think that the Connect, Connect +, Apple Carplay etc stuff is beyond the knowledge/comfort zone of most staff in the OPC. The Retail Manager admitted that it wasn't her strong point. She said that the SE in question was the tech expert of the OPC and he's the one who said don't bother with an SD card, just change your phone contract to unlimited data! Disapprove I honestly imagine that this might be a weak spot of up to date expertise in many OPCs. There is certainly a lot more knowledge on here regarding in-car tech than there is at my (otherwise excellent) OPC.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you have music as mp3 file drag and drop the folder containing the album tracks onto a 32Gb SD car and insert it in the slot in the Panny.

Put in a SIM off Amazon / My Memory but do check which network has the best coverage where you want it. I have one by 3 and its not to good at 4G signals as my phone with its 4G so when the 3 runs out I will swap it for one from EE.

The SE probably said what he did as so many stream their music via their phones mobile data system, but I am not one for spending any amount on subscription streaming services and prefer to record music for use in the car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It's a shame, as apart from help on the tech side, the OPC have been top notch.  I think that the in-car tech is moving more quickly than the knowledge of some SEs.

Yes, but why do they offer BS advice instead of saying I don't know I'll get someone who does.  Assuming there is at least one person in the OPC with a grip on this. Might be an assumption too far.

I genuinely think that the Connect, Connect +, Apple Carplay etc stuff is beyond the knowledge/comfort zone of most staff in the OPC.  The Retail Manager admitted that it wasn't her strong point.  She said that the SE in question was the tech expert of the OPC and he's the one who said don't bother with an SD card, just change your phone contract to unlimited data!  Disapprove  I honestly imagine that this might be a weak spot of up to date expertise in many OPCs.  There is certainly a lot more knowledge on here regarding in-car tech than there is at my (otherwise excellent) OPC. 

So you pay goodness knows what extra for unlimited data on the phone plus music subscription fees before you even start the car.

Plug your iPhone into the car and you should get a pop up message asking if you want the phone to be used as an iPod or as CarPlay (at least this is what happens in a Macan). If you do not get the message the car probably has the phone set as iPod. Try pressing the bottom left of the PCM and see if a pop up option menu come visible,

Its worth learning how to use the iPhone as that will give you a couple of SatNav and traffic warnings.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Plug your iPhone into the car and you should get a pop up message asking if you want the phone to be used as an iPod or as CarPlay (at least this is what happens in a Macan). If you do not get the message the car probably has the phone set as iPod. Try pressing the bottom left of the PCM and see if a pop up option menu come visible,

Its worth learning how to use the iPhone as that will give you a couple of SatNav and traffic warnings.

Thanks, Col. I tried that on Sunday & got the Apple Carplay screen up on the PCM.
I then had a bash at using Google Maps for the sat nav directions home from Broadstairs to Swindon.
Not as good as the in-car sat nav, as far as I could see.
Weirdly, I got a kind of 'echo' on the audio instructions - a pleasant female voice & then a male voice...!?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Retired

Post by Retired »

So you pay goodness knows what extra for unlimited data on the phone plus music subscription fees before you even start the car.

Most have paid over £50k for the car.

Difficult to understand worrying about a couple of pounds a month.
Laguna

Post by Laguna »

we'll be seeing WingCo doing a version of this advert soon:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xigr79S6QsQ

[TUBE]xigr79S6QsQ[/TUBE]
EviL Ras edit - desktop link
EviL Ras2017-04-11 16:32:10
PHBALKC6
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It all adds up. And most people don't like being ripped off.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I am the world's least IT-aware person and am unlikely to make any use of Connect +, Carplay etc etc. I definitely wouldn't have specced it on my car, but it comes as standard.
Still haven't even succeeded in activating the app on my phone! Wacko
When I collected my new car, the SE said not to bother with an SD card, as all of his customers already have, or get their phones upgraded to unlimited data...!? Does that sound right to you more tech savvie folks...?! Confused

It's worth persevering Wingco. I came back from Bath today listening to a number of Podcasts on Apple CarPlay whilst using Apple Maps which I often now find to be better than the in-car Nav. Siri is so much better too than the in-car voice activation. I am also loving Amazon Music controlled by CarPlay and it is not even using data as I have simply downloaded 20 or so playlists from Amazon Music to listen to offline. Songs on there that I would never think to download myself. Highly recommended!
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

We were talkining about Unlimted data which can be £30+ a month increase on a more modest mobile phone plan.

£9 a month is what I pay for my mobile with a 4gig of data to go for unlimited would probably be quite expensive, I would say what it was if EEs site was far easier to gather information from.

Then there is the £10 a month for music subscription like spotify.

Its never ending and anyway I would rather spend the say £40 extra it would cost on fuel and enjoy driving the Turbo in the Pennines and Yorkshire Dales.

Col Lamb2017-04-11 16:51:59
Col
Macan Turbo
Retired

Post by Retired »

We were talkining about Unlimted data which can be £30+ a month increase on a more modest mobile phone plan.

£9 a month is what I pay for my mobile with a 4gig of data to go for unlimited would probably be quite expensive, I would say what it was if EEs site was far easier to gather information from.

Then there is the £10 a month for music subscription like spotify.

Its never ending and anyway I would rather spend the say £40 extra it would cost on fuel and enjoy driving the Turbo in the Pennines and Yorkshire Dales.

You can buy 24gb of data spread over up to 24 months. If it lasts 24 months, which it will if you only use stuff like online search, RTTI that's about £1.69 a month. Insignificant.

Connect + is an evolutionary dead end anyway.

If I want to know about,say, flight arrivals at LHR I'll use a decently featured app of my choosing not the inadequate Connect + app . Ditto train info, ditto etc.

What needs to happen, and will with orgs like Goggle showing interest in the sector is for cars to be properly compliant with Ios / Android so any app will run in the car. So if I want to use Google maps, Waze etc I can choose what I consider to be the best for me and not have to use some nav system that gets maps from one supplier, google earth overlays from google and traffic from Inrix and pay for the privilege.

Remember Connect + is a subscription service. Just happens that the first two years are free. Will you be willing to pay for substandard apps like the nav (chargeable map updates) flight info app when properly featured apps are available for free?