Porsche using outdated Google Earth

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just had the GE update on the PC and it is noticeably better but despite calling the data 2016 the pictures of home must be 10 years old now.

Yes, fairly confident GE is showing images from circa 2011 of our house too (playing spot the car on the drive)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Retired

Post by Retired »

I concur.

I had so much hassle** trying to source a PAYG data-only SIM (that you didn't have to put in a phone to set up an online account) 12 months ago that I got a cheap data-only monthly plan which gives me 2GB/month. I've never been remotely close to using that even with GE on display constantly. TBH I've given up monitoring usage now but I suspect that 1GB/month or even less would be fine too.

**Hopefully the situation has improved now re PAYG data SIMs - it was like the cell industry was still some way behind understanding the demand for non-traditional (phone, tablet etc) SIM use for things like cars which need - or at least prefer - a full-size SIM but which don't also provide a browser or app interface through which the account can be monitored.

There's the odd occasion GE is of use. E.g needed to find a football field down a track off a given road, could see it on GE. Wouldn't really miss it if not there.

Following the advice from this forum bought a 'three' preloaded data only sim. Put it into car and it just worked. Then created a 'three' account to monitor usage. Only took a couple of minutes. Sure, need to sign in to check status but (a) it's a trivial thing to do and (b) rarely do it as usage is quite low and had 24gb to start with.

Basically a fit and forget solution.
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

i have had my Macan for 2 weeks now and was given a 2gb EE data only sim card by the OPC, after approx 9 days of using GE it seems like all my data has been used as i cannot get GE anymore and i can't seem to find the Internet radio stations ? Unsure what to do ?
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Glad I didn't order Connect or Connect +. It was really pushed by the OPC an I was told it would "future-proof" my car and the car would be worth considerably less at trade-in. I plan to keep the car for many years. Clearly it is not as future-proof as they made out! To me it is just another distraction. If I want to access the internet or GE, I will stop and use my phone.
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
Retired

Post by Retired »

Try using the nav destination online search facility. If that works you still have some data left and further investigation required. If it doesn't work go and buy a new SIM card and put it in the car.