Porsche using outdated Google Earth

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

It's a bit off that Porsche are selling cars without the latest high quality Google Earth maps, and it looks like Porsche Macan owners are never going to get the latest Google Earth versions as they're released (the date on the GE screen might show e.g. 2016, but the GE maps on the Macan are actually older than that)

Looks like everyone in the world will get GE upgrades on their phones, laptops, etc., but not for the Macan.

Does anyone know if there's ever going to be a resolution of the VAG/Google situation? And if so, when? Or are there other sat mapping systems that Porsche will use? And if so, when?

I'm assuming Porsche are explaining the outdated GE situation with new and potential customers (hence this request on this forum). It's unlawful not to do so. Everyone in Porsche knows about it, it was discussed at a recent conference of theirs.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Based on experiences on the forum, Many of the Sales Execs can barely articulate the features of Connect+, so not sure they would have a clue about how up to date Google Earth is. I suspect therefore this is not mentioned to new customers. Personally, it's just a gimmick for me and I never have it loaded on my navigation.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

My SE told me I needed Connect+ to connect a Windows phone to the car via Bluetooth, so Hawkeye is spot on. They haven't got a clue. I found out more on this forum and the internet in general than the dealership could (or would) tell me and left Connect+ off my spec. No regrets.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Does anybody care about Google Earth imagery though? All it succeeds in doing is make the map display really hard to read.

Streetview could be handy, but as you can only use it when stopped, and it's considerably easier to just use your phone, even that has limited use.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Daftpudding........Does anyone know if there's ever going to be a resolution of the VAG/Google situation? And if so, when? Or are there other sat mapping systems that Porsche will use? And if so, when?
If I understand it correctly it is VAGs reluctance to support the data gathering that is a Google requirement to its method of operation.

Do we not sign up for this on our mobile devices when we click on share location?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
johnd

Post by johnd »

Does anybody care about Google Earth imagery though?

I do. My PCM is set permanently to GE - much prefer it that way. Notice all sorts of landscape features around and about.

Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Does it not churn through data that way?
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Does it not churn through data that way?

Not really, it fetches a shedload (>300mb measured when I first used it) but unless you're constantly visiting different regions, it's fairly moderate.

I had it switched on going through central Wales recently and it made no statistically significant difference to my data usage. It did hamper my ability to find smaller roads though as they get suppressed in GM mode.

goron592017-04-26 07:36:19
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
johnd

Post by johnd »

I concur.

I had so much hassle** trying to source a PAYG data-only SIM (that you didn't have to put in a phone to set up an online account) 12 months ago that I got a cheap data-only monthly plan which gives me 2GB/month. I've never been remotely close to using that even with GE on display constantly. TBH I've given up monitoring usage now but I suspect that 1GB/month or even less would be fine too.

**Hopefully the situation has improved now re PAYG data SIMs - it was like the cell industry was still some way behind understanding the demand for non-traditional (phone, tablet etc) SIM use for things like cars which need - or at least prefer - a full-size SIM but which don't also provide a browser or app interface through which the account can be monitored.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I'm hoping to plug in my 4G dongle with about 15Gb spare data.

Any comments welcome but my SE seems to think that should work.

Just had the GE update on the PC and it is noticeably better but despite calling the data 2016 the pictures of home must be 10 years old now.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab