Porsche Connect registration issues solved

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So after many moons, my registration with Porsche Connect issue has been solved.

To be clear, this is the new online services you get with the latest PCM, and not Car Connect or PCM Connect.

The bulletin given to OPCs reads as follows (key bits in red):

Porsche Bulletin

The customer must visit the workshop for campaign WG47

You must check that you have the customer's correct Email address and mobile number in C@P.

You must also check the status of 'Commercial Owner' and 'Porsche Block' - both of these flags will stop the customer invitation

The customer will then be automatically added to the pool of invitations. Although, as many customers are being invited, it may take a few weeks to get the email out to the customer.

The customer must then register on the Portal and activate the services.

They can then start using the full Connect Services and their 24 month free period starts.

In my case, my selling OPC (Tewkesbury) didn't add my phone number when they sold me the car, so that was the blocker.

The excellent service tech Richard Francis at East London OPC did this digging for me, got my phone number added and within a few hours, I got the registration and I'm good to go.

--

So if anyone has had the recall to get their PCM updated and not yet received the registration, it's worth getting your OPC to check these things.

Porsche Connect Contact details:
UK: 08081685219
International: +44 20 36971995

goron592017-04-28 07:41:44
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

goron59

Post by goron59 »

And wow, is it underwhelming!

Retired

Post by Retired »

And wow, is it underwhelming!

Agreed.

Bits and pieces might get used from time to time; nearest petrol, the internet radio (can't remember name) when in Europe but generally really poor.

Even if you want, e.g. flight info, the app is really basic so would use something on phone.

And remember you only get 3 free online map segment updates a year. Not the whole map, not even a country just three segments. E.g. Germany comes as four segments so you can only update three quarters of Germany in a given year and that's your free online map update quota gone.
Paul

Post by Paul »

..and I get nearest petrol when my light comes on.....with neither connect, nor connect + , just standard PCM nav (mind you, I've never plucked up the courage to try it yet!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

As far as I know, I don't have any 'Connect' facilities on my Macan, but I had the recent PCM update applied several weeks ago (at Tewkesbury). Should I still be entitled to an invite for these new (if underwhelming) online services?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The send-to-car google service is really limited too.
Only works from web, not google maps app.
Can't easily move entire routes to the car.
Everything is about 5 taps too many.
PCM doesn't cache stuff so you have to wait for refresh.
UX catastrophe
I wonder how much money was wasted on this half-arsed tech?

It just so much easier to use the Apple stuff.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Stupid question (sorry) - but this is only for those who paid the £800 for connect plus? not for those of us who didn't?
Retired

Post by Retired »

..and I get nearest petrol when my light comes on.....with neither connect, nor connect + , just standard PCM nav (mind you, I've never plucked up the courage to try it yet!)

C+ app gives list of nearest petrol stations including brand (Shell etc.) price, distance ....
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Stupid question (sorry) - but this is only for those who paid the £800 for connect plus? not for those of us who didn't?

I think so, but Porsche changed the rules quite dramatically with with this. Many of the promises that came with Connect Plus were reneged (e.g. online updates, map updates) when this Porsche Connect thing came along... or rather, and specifically, those features were disabled until you activated Porsche Connect (and for many, that required a recall campaign). So for me, I actually lost functionality for a couple of months.

Edit: yes, it looks like the fancy online apps is Connect Plus only:

goron592017-04-28 06:30:59
goron59

Post by goron59 »

C+ app gives list of nearest petrol stations including brand (Shell etc.) price, distance ....

I wonder how accurate it is? The petrolprices.com app is invariably wrong, for example.