Porsche Connect quirks

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So having had Porsche Connect ( https://connect-portal.porsche.com/core/GB/en_GB/ ) working for a few days, I've noticed a few things that are good/bad, certainly compared to original Connect Plus online facilities.

Getting it

You need to have PCM4 and have had it updated via a recall if you don't have it already.
You then need to get registered. It should be an automatic process, but if not, see first post on this thread. Porsche Connect registration issues solved

Functionality restored

When my PCM4 was updated, all the over-the-air updates stopped working. Now I'm registered/active with Porsche Connect, these features are back.

Map updates online

For me, this was the best part of 1.2GB and a little over an hour.

Interestingly, you can go back again and see that you are up-to-date. This is very good for me, as I get annoyed when something isn't working as expected and not telling you why or giving any kind of status.

It looks like if you "Select further countries" you can manually pick other places for which to download updates. Nice.

Now yesterday, I had maps/POIs updates, so was disappointed to see that it still doesn't know where Porsche East London moved to about two years ago.

Fuel prices and station locator

This seems like a good thing. Sure, the car had a "search for nearest petrol station" option before, but this one has a nice list and prices.

Unfortunately, the prices are shown for crappy 95RON fuel. Maybe it's configurable somewhere? Hopefully it would show diesel fuel prices in an SD.

Fortunately, if you tap a station, it does show 98RON prices too, but still...

Logging in for configured services

For some services, like online POIs, you need to log in.
This initially requires the use of a PIN, but then you can do it automatically if your phone is detected via Bluetooth. All good, you wouldn't want to save the PIN in the PCM as there could be some security compromise.

But, if you are also using CarPlay, Bluetooth is disabled.

Poor design decision here, so on a couple of occasions, I've just asked Siri for nearest fuel, prices, and other stuff that Porsche Connect offers, and it does it better in most cases.

Online POI workflow

The Porsche Connect website looks like it was designed by a 5 year old who's only vaguely heard of UX. So you won't spend much time there adding POIs.

OK, so you can enable your car in Google Maps Send to device feature. This is nicer, but only seems to work on web-based Google Maps, so not easy to do it on your phone (yes, there's still ye olde PCM Connect app too).

Then when you are in the car, these POIs are quite hard to find - tucked away in a submenu of a submenu of the Nav and Fav areas in the PCM. These should really be front-and-centre in the Apps section, I think.

Again, CarPlay (and Android Auto in other vehicles) puts this to shame.

It doesn't help that Google Maps on the web has really gone down hill over the years and is not at all an easy place to plan trips.

goron592017-05-01 13:10:38
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Third stage

Post by Third stage »

Re fuel prices, if you select a filling station it will ask if you want to set it as a destination and in "most" cases gives the price of all grades of fuel sold.

Oops Just seen that you commented on this

Third stage2017-05-01 14:22:09
Retired

Post by Retired »

Goron,

Update a third map segment and that's your lot for the year. The list will still appear but will be greyed out.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Goron,

Update a third map segment and that's your lot for the year. The list will still appear but will be greyed out.

Ah, ok. Just as well I've already had 2 updates before the new Porsche Connect took over from Connect Plus then!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR