Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Tim92gts
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:01 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Tim92gts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 am

Haven't even collected mine yet but I can see the tank is full and all the tyres are showing 0.1 Bar over pressure.

15 miles on the clock so if the SE takes it out for a spin today I shall be having words!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab


Guy
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Guy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 am

Tim92gts wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 am
15 miles on the clock so if the SE takes it out for a spin today I shall be having words!
Just flash lights and sound horn remotely - they'll get the message! :lol:


goron59
Posts: 5234
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by goron59 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am

Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 am
Tim92gts wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 am
15 miles on the clock so if the SE takes it out for a spin today I shall be having words!
Just flash lights and sound horn remotely - they'll get the message! :lol:
Nah, report it stolen.


User avatar
Mango276
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Mango276 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 pm

I had a similar issue after 6months of ownership. I picked up my car on 1 Sept 16 and around Feb, the VTS stopped sending a signal back to Vodafone.
My OPC in Chiswick was very good and booked me in within a week. They replaced the device I believe and I started getting alerts straight away.
However, one year on, I now get a message to say "no vehicles available" when I log into the car connect app. I know my free 12month subscription has come to an end, but I thought the app would at least show the details of my car?
Does anyone else share this response once their free subscription ended?
I'd hate to send it into my OPC for another day, such a pain from where I work/live!
Cheers
Porsche Macan MY 17 GTS


User avatar
Paul
Posts: 5883
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Paul » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Mango276 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 pm
I had a similar issue after 6months of ownership. I picked up my car on 1 Sept 16 and around Feb, the VTS stopped sending a signal back to Vodafone.
My OPC in Chiswick was very good and booked me in within a week. They replaced the device I believe and I started getting alerts straight away.
However, one year on, I now get a message to say "no vehicles available" when I log into the car connect app. I know my free 12month subscription has come to an end, but I thought the app would at least show the details of my car?
Does anyone else share this response once their free subscription ended?
I'd hate to send it into my OPC for another day, such a pain from where I work/live!
Cheers

No, sadly if you don't stump up the app becomes redundant.
1st Sapphire Blue SD
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1986

Current Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296


Mak
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Mak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Latest feedback from my OPC via Porsche Technical is that there is a fault in the VTS / PCC Control Unit where it loses GSM Signal (in poor reception areas like certain parts of the South West) and it gets stuck in a loop trying to search for a connection. Once this happens it cannot even reconnect when there is a strong signal, hence it is effectively jammed until it is rebooted by an OPC technician.

This is a Vodafone software bug by all accounts and could even be triggered if you left your car say in an undergound car park for a period of time. This means that replacing your VTS or having it rebooted will resolve the problem only temporarily. I have suggested that there needs to be a proper fix as network connection cannot be gaurenteed at all times and is not fit for purpose.

Meanwhile, in the light of this if customers have not been able to use this service due to the bug then Porsche should offer a free connect service extension once they have done the fix.


User avatar
brains1900
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:04 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by brains1900 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Interesting. I have had 1 dealer Car Connect reset and 1 replacement. I rarely drive to work but when I do, I park in the underground car park. I suspect that this may be the trigger for the failure now. After the first failure it thought the car was at the office. I will have to drive in and again to see if it happens again.


Mak
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Mak » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 am

The key question is how long can your car be left in a weak connection spot before it gets locked in a loop. I think it may be 3-5 days (so the odd day in a deep underground car park should be ok) but I have asked for confirmation. I gather also that this problem is not limited to Macans if that makes you feel any better. The bigger worry applies to the main Vodafone Theft Tracking Service which must be affected and a bit of an issue if your car gets stolen and its off the grid in a jammed state!


goron59
Posts: 5234
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by goron59 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 am

Mak wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 am
The key question is how long can your car be left in a weak connection spot before it gets locked in a loop. I think it may be 3-5 days (so the odd day in a deep underground car park should be ok) but I have asked for confirmation. I gather also that this problem is not limited to Macans if that makes you feel any better. The bigger worry applies to the main Vodafone Theft Tracking Service which must be affected and a bit of an issue if your car gets stolen and its off the grid in a jammed state!
"3-5 days?" Nope. Mine pretty much stays in a black spot for 6 days at a time, bringing it out only on Saturdays, occasionally Sundays. The longest it stayed underground was 3 weeks and no problems during that time.

I've had two cars with this PVTS unit over about 2.5 years and only had the one fault.

In that case, the PVTS unit was actually faulty, not just confused. Although there was some attempt to blame being parked in a blackspot as an excuse.


Guy
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am

Re: Car connect app not able to connect to GTS

Post by Guy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:06 am

Mak wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 am
The key question is how long can your car be left in a weak connection spot before it gets locked in a loop. I think it may be 3-5 days (so the odd day in a deep underground car park should be ok) but I have asked for confirmation. I gather also that this problem is not limited to Macans if that makes you feel any better. The bigger worry applies to the main Vodafone Theft Tracking Service which must be affected and a bit of an issue if your car gets stolen and its off the grid in a jammed state!
Mine's been three months underground without VTS issues :?

(Mind you, mine's the older more reliable 2015 Macan ... :D)


Post Reply

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest