CarPlay iOS 11

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Watching the Apple WWDC keynote yesterday, there were a couple of tidbits.

* Speed limits in maps
* Lane guidance

So that's nice.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Cheers for the heads up.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Please excuse my ignorance.........
As you may have seen already, I'm a bit of a dunce where it comes to PCM/ Connect plus.
So, what is apple WWDC please?
We did spec the speed limit warnings option at time of speccing and have found it amazing.......especially flitting from France into Switzerland and back. It reads99% of signs correctly and adjust when going over the border a must have for a European road trip we think 👍
goron59

Post by goron59 »

WWDC is Apple's worldwide developer conference. It's where they present and discuss what's coming up in the next year in iOS/iPhone, the Mac, Apple Watch and so on.

They said that the Maps app on iPhone (the same one used by CarPlay) will now show speed limits on the screen for the road you are travelling on.

The advantage of this is that it can be completely live - something that PCM nav doesn't do.

It's not related to the speed limit sign reader option you can spec on the Macan.

It's a small thing, but probably not that widely known. I found it interesting and encouraging.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The specific announcement was:
And of course, we have more improvements to navigation. So now in the upper left, you can even see your speed limit, I hope you’re paying attention to that, and lane guidance, so you know which lane to be in to make your next move when navigating.

ios11maps.png

So this is an iPhone screenshot, but we know that CarPlay maps is iOS Maps, so it's no great leap to assume we'll have it.

There was also a load of stuff about driving mode Do Not Disturb While Driving for when you're not using CarPlay. Basically, your phone will distract you less if it knows you're in the car, and you can tell it you're not driving, if you're a passenger.

Update: some chap on an Audi forum has posted some screenshots.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9- ... st24980912
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Nice info 👍
They are tweaking CarPlay with every update.
i actually really like all the changes in iOS 11 especially when using an iPad with all the multitasking.
GTS 😀