Alternative data usage

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 pm
Retired wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am WiFi password everytime, no.

At least on the few occasions I have connected up to it with my iPad I only had to put the password in the first time.

This isn't a device such as your iPad connecting to the car's WiFi.

It's the other way round. The car needs the data connection for online traffic etc to work and it gets it, in the absence of a SIM in the car, by connecting to an external WiFi hotspot on, e.g. a phone.

Nevertheless, you only have to enter the hotspot password the first time the connection is established.

I do not understand your response.

Presently I am sat in my Turbo with my iPad connected to the WiFi hospot entitled Turbo, btw my mobile phone is nowhere near the car and is not showing as connected.

So you do not need a mobile phone to provide a WiFi hotspot the car does that without a mobile being necessary.

This response sent via my Macans internet hotspot.

Me, I would still use a data SIM and negotiate a lower mobile contract, I have unlimited calls and 4Gb of data for £9 a month.

Suggest you read the OPs post and my response to it.

It should then become clear to you.

This not about connecting a phone ( or any other device) to the car's wifi hotspot.

It is about using the data allowance on a phone to support real time traffic and other facilities which require data.

This is about the car (PCM) connecting to the phones wifi hotspot to enable this.