Alternative data usage

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Hi
Can anyone answer my query please?
The data sim supplied with the car and connect plus has ran out. Obviously we can top it up but I have loads of data to use on my phone ( I phone 7 on Vodafone)
Can I use PCM connect plus by tethering the phone or any other way, so we can use the phones data and so we can access other internet services?
If so an idiots guide would be useful!

Thanks in advance

Frankie

Retired

Post by Retired »

PCM can use your phone to acccess data.

Remove SIM card from car.

Turn on your phone's WiFi hotspot.

Select Device Manager on the PCM screen (touch bottom left corner), then Data Connection and follow the dialogue to establish a WiFi connection.

That's it.

Not an iphone user so don't know if this is true, but on Android phones the WiFi hotspot turns off after an period of inactivity (e.g. when away from the car) so you need to turn it on every time you get into the car. Not the most elegant solution.

A data only SIM widely recommended here is available from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Pay-Mobil ... s=data+sim

£41.14 for 24gb total over up to 24 months.

I have one and it works well.
Last edited by Retired on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

@Retired is correct.

On your iPhone, you turn on "Personal Hotspot" - this works over WiFi only (not USB tethered).

iOS does turn off the Personal Hotspot after a period of non-use. I don't know what that period is, but it certainly does it over night :/
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Regarding the SIM card from 3, that is what I bought for the Turbo, but the 12Gb version.

I do not stream and have Google Earth off by default but use it occasionally and after 8 months I still have 8Gb left and I have updated the maps, thats all the data usage that I know of.

I only just checked data usage today as I have been having in car IT problems and wondered if the data had run out.

Its worth checking the data coverage reports for your usual driving areas and routes prior to buying any SIM.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Thanks for the advice guys..........sorted 👍🏼
Just one more thing,do I need to keep putting the wifi password in every time? That could prove annoying ⁉️

Frankie
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

WiFi password everytime, no.

At least on the few occasions I have connected up to it with my iPad I only had to put the password in the first time.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am WiFi password everytime, no.

At least on the few occasions I have connected up to it with my iPad I only had to put the password in the first time.

This isn't a device such as your iPad connecting to the car's WiFi.

It's the other way round. The car needs the data connection for online traffic etc to work and it gets it, in the absence of a SIM in the car, by connecting to an external WiFi hotspot on, e.g. a phone.

Nevertheless, you only have to enter the hotspot password the first time the connection is established.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Franklin wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:18 am Thanks for the advice guys..........sorted 👍🏼
Just one more thing,do I need to keep putting the wifi password in every time? That could prove annoying ⁉️

Frankie
No need to be annoyed. Only enter it the first time to establish the link.

Might need to turn on the phone's hotspot though if it stops working when not in use.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Retired wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am WiFi password everytime, no.

This isn't a device such as your iPad connecting to the car's WiFi.

It's the other way round. The car needs the data connection for online traffic etc to work and it gets it, in the absence of a SIM in the car, by connecting to an external WiFi hotspot on, e.g. a phone.

Nevertheless, you only have to enter the hotspot password the first time the connection is established.

I do not understand your response.

Presently I am sat in my Turbo with my iPad connected to the WiFi hospot entitled Turbo, btw my mobile phone is nowhere near the car and is not showing as connected.

So you do not need a mobile phone to provide a WiFi hotspot the car does that without a mobile being necessary.

This response sent via my Macans internet hotspot.

Me, I would still use a data SIM and negotiate a lower mobile contract, I have unlimited calls and 4Gb of data for £9 a month.
Col
Macan Turbo
goron59

Post by goron59 »

highlighted what he was talking about.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR