Do I have a problem with Sat nav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
microbe

Post by microbe »

I am currently on holiday in Cornwall and using the Sat nav a lot for the first time and think I may have a problem with the display. Although sound directions are (usually) OK and the route is marked the remainder of the map is various shades of light grey, except when I go through a tunnel and it changes to shades of dark grey. I am sure that when I briefly used it on collection in December the background tended to be green or blue, I also seem to remember some one else posting similar problems but cannot find it (very poor wi fi).

Do I have a problem or is it me mixing up memories of the stand alone Sat nav that I previously used
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9

Pete

Post by Pete »

The display changing in a tunnel would imply that the display is changing to "night" mode.

Photos of what your display looks like would be really helpful.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Do you have your light switch set to 'auto'? When the headlights automatically switch on the satnav screen darkens. This would explain what you are seeing when you enter a tunnel.

When the lights aren't on the map background should be various colours depending on the type of terrain you are passing through. Often the background will be white'ish, but I wouldn't call it light grey.

How about posting a screenshot of the satnav view you think is an issue?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You beat me to it Pete!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
microbe

Post by microbe »

Thanks for the replies. Posting a picture will have to wait until I am home as the wi fi available cannot stretch to uploading a photo. My lights are on auto but the darkening of the screen did not coincide with lights coming on.

I will see what it is like when we go home and give the dealer a ring if I think it is still playing up. I will also be able to read my manual and access the good to know app
Pete

Post by Pete »

You won't need WiFi to use the GtK app, it holds all the data on the phone.
Paul

Post by Paul »

microbe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:01 am Thanks for the replies. Posting a picture will have to wait until I am home as the wi fi available cannot stretch to uploading a photo. My lights are on auto but the darkening of the screen did not coincide with lights coming on.
Bizarely,and frustratingly, this seems to be the case. I find the headlights (on auto) come on too earlier and stay on for longer that I would manually switch them. However the nav screen (night to day mode) seems to be better tuned in to what I would consider dark or light conditions and doesn't follow the headlights.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

I have the older PCM but you can definitely set the PCM screen 'Day/night switch' to 'automatic', 'day' or 'night'. I tend to have it on the day setting to avoid the changes.

(Note that this just changes the colours to suit the time of day/night - there is a separate manual setting for 'brightness')
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

microbe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 am I am currently on holiday in Cornwall and using the Sat nav a lot for the first time and think I may have a problem with the display. Although sound directions are (usually) OK and the route is marked the remainder of the map is various shades of light grey, except when I go through a tunnel and it changes to shades of dark grey. I am sure that when I briefly used it on collection in December the background tended to be green or blue, I also seem to remember some one else posting similar problems but cannot find it (very poor wi fi).

Do I have a problem or is it me mixing up memories of the stand alone Sat nav that I previously used

Could it be that you are mostly in rural areas? I think I have noticed a light grey appearance to much of the sat nav map when I'm in the middle of nowhere/countryside, but the screen becomes more colourful when there are more roads and features around/urban area... :?:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
microbe

Post by microbe »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:16 pm
microbe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 am I am currently on holiday in Cornwall and using the Sat nav a lot for the first time and think I may have a problem with the display. Although sound directions are (usually) OK and the route is marked the remainder of the map is various shades of light grey, except when I go through a tunnel and it changes to shades of dark grey. I am sure that when I briefly used it on collection in December the background tended to be green or blue, I also seem to remember some one else posting similar problems but cannot find it (very poor wi fi).

Could it be that you are mostly in rural areas? I think I have noticed a light grey appearance to much of the sat nav map when I'm in the middle of nowhere/countryside, but the screen becomes more colourful when there are more roads and features around/urban area... :?:
My trips have indeed been in very rural areas. My trip home via M5, M4 and M25 should confirm whether I have a problem or not.

It was the apparently unfocused background screen that made me question whether I had a problem or not.