More map updates

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I had already had my "quota" of map updates for this year but I'm getting some more now. Maybe the year has reset. Who knows.

Nearly 1GB download for two regions in the U.K. South-east.

( "Three" 4G SIM being useless and only getting 3G so a long wait. )

Edit to say that the "Version Navigation Database" has now gone from "V03959802GB 0153 ECE 2016/2017" to "V03959802GB 0161 ECE 2016/2017"

IMG_3484.JPG

Last edited by goron59 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Thanks I'll have a look. This is what they told me when I asked about the (stupid) three region limit.
With the Online Map Updates, the update is limited to three regions per year, in order to ensure a manageable data volume.
The respective country is split into regions where the most frequently used region is suggested as the first update.
In addition, you can select two more regions for download (e.g., Northern France or Switzerland).

The annual offline map update at the dealership is free of charge.

The limit of 3 online updates is due to the data volume required for the map updates.

Moreover, there is the Offline Map Update Service at the dealership. Here the entire map material is updated at once.
2 regions for UK South East? Don't you just have 'England South'?
Last edited by CharlesElliott on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Also, interesting you only get 3G on a Three 4G SIM. I have the same. When I used EE SIMs I'm sure I got 4G....not sure what it is about the Three ones? I get 4G in my MiFi.

I've got a stock of Three SIMs from their 24Gb offer!
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Retired

Post by Retired »

I got the SE updates as well despite having used my free updates already. Car is 5 months old so I did updates within that time so no year reset unless a fixed rather than rolling year, which seems unlikely but you never know with Porsche tech. I checked after performing the SE updates and all other map segments are greyed out.

Suspect we got the SE updates because that's where we are.

I was told that I would be offered updates if I ventured into a new geography and updates are available. The example given was drive into France and get the most popular region for that country. True? I don't know. Does it come out of your three updates? Don't know and couldn't be bothered to try to deal with less than well informed person who was merely parroting answers and didn't really understand. Of course the most popular bit of the country might not be the bit you've just driven into, which less than optimal if true.

If you go to a dealer and ask them to update the maps what do you get? The latest 'baseline' map and the baseline plus all extant updates?

Three segments is useless if, e.g. you want to drive to Switzerland. Need UK, France Belgium, Germany an Switzerland. How many segments is that? More than three. Or if the maps update as you go along independently of the three updates means your overall route was planned on old data.

Who is the 'manageable data volume' supposed to help? Porsche distributing over the internet or me the user?

If it's me I'll worry about my data use without help from Porsche. You are informed of the volume anyway so can make a decision for yourself.

If it's a big download I can park near my house and use my in home wifi.

I spoke with Reading OPC about this. I would have spent my time more productively by asking the next drunk I meet on the street.

The system itself appears to have been designed ( not really the right word) by someone with no exposure or understanding of how a user might like the system to work and Porsche have totally failed to ensure there is local resource in place to support it.

More generally Porsche OPC staff appear to have virtually no understanding of PCM, Connect, Connect plus etc.

The least Porsche could do is produce a document which can be given to customers which explains how it works. Not a difficult concept.

Porsche excellent at making cars which are fun to drive but fits them with rubbish tech.
Retired

Post by Retired »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:19 pm Also, interesting you only get 3G on a Three 4G SIM. I have the same. When I used EE SIMs I'm sure I got 4G....not sure what it is about the Three ones? I get 4G in my MiFi.

I've got a stock of Three SIMs from their 24Gb offer!
I use a Three SIM and while most of the time it shows 3G LTE does show up fairly often.

Haven't noticed the speed causing any problems so not really worried.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Well said @Retired.

This is one of the reasons Volvo was so attractive.
Everything is crystal clear. No room for customer frustration to spoil the experience.
jk88

Post by jk88 »

I've tried several times, unsuccessfully, to updates the maps via our home wi-fi. In theory it should work fine and the car is happy to connect to our wi-fi and use it for the various data services it is connected to (google earth, live traffic, news feeds etc). However it refuses to download any map data, simply coming up with one of a couple of vague error messages.

I've since downloaded a couple of map updates using the mobile sim, so it obviously works, but for some reason Porsche don't want you to use a very fast and cheap method to manage the updates. Anyone tried this and got a different outcome?
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
goron59

Post by goron59 »

jk88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:31 pm I've tried several times, unsuccessfully, to updates the maps via our home wi-fi. In theory it should work fine and the car is happy to connect to our wi-fi and use it for the various data services it is connected to (google earth, live traffic, news feeds etc). However it refuses to download any map data, simply coming up with one of a couple of vague error messages.

I've since downloaded a couple of map updates using the mobile sim, so it obviously works, but for some reason Porsche don't want you to use a very fast and cheap method to manage the updates. Anyone tried this and got a different outcome?
I've downloaded stuff (including maps and indeed software updates) with a mix of built-in SIM (two different brands), tethered to my phone's WiFi, tethered to my spare phone's WiFi and a public WiFi hotspot. No problems.

What does tend to happen is the PCM randomly can't connect to Porsche servers, whether it be looking for parking spots (didn't work last week) or map updates (tried 2 days ago), etc.

So unless you're doing a back-to-back test with your home WiFi and a SIM, it's not really conclusive.
jk88

Post by jk88 »

So maybe just unable to connect to the servers as you say rather than an inability to connect through wi-fi. Unfortunately mobile data coverage at home is quite poor on Voda, so a back to back test not possible. I'll give the wi-fi a whirl next time I remember to see if anything is different.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
goron59

Post by goron59 »

jk88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:25 pm So maybe just unable to connect to the servers as you say rather than an inability to connect through wi-fi. Unfortunately mobile data coverage at home is quite poor on Voda, so a back to back test not possible. I'll give the wi-fi a whirl next time I remember to see if anything is different.
Yea, sometimes you just need to keep trying. I have neither phone nor WiFi coverage in my garage at home, and it's surprising how little tech works properly in those situations. It can barely get a radio signal down there, so I don't even get the RDS alerts.