speed limit indicator

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dandock wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:26 am It's one thing worrying about what is and is not displayed and laying the blame but shouldn't we all really be paying attention to the prevailing circumstances and 'actual' signage?
+1..these are all driver "aids" and don't (or shouldn't) replace our eyes!
A bit like blaming parking sensors for not picking up low bollards...... ;)

(also, I'm confident there'll be a disclaimer somewhere in the not-so-small print. That the camera can pick up the red-ringed ordinary speed limit signs, permanent or temporary is clever enough; how it is expected to see gantry signs 4M above is another step ...)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Caster

Post by Caster »

Wonder if the full system picks up those speed limit signs on the back of some lorries etc? :D
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:26 am It's one thing worrying about what is and is not displayed and laying the blame but shouldn't we all really be paying attention to the prevailing circumstances and 'actual' signage?
Absolutely agree. The more driver aids we have, and ACC is another case in point, the more we may be tempted to rely on them and drop our concentration. And on boring motorways that can result in drowsiness to the extent of dropping off!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Did anyone see the BBC thing on Silicon Valley the other evening - and the autonomous driving truck?

I just can't imagine having to sit behind a wheel and not be in charge but be alert and in charge at the same time - just in case! :o
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm Did anyone see the BBC thing on Silicon Valley the other evening - and the autonomous driving truck?

I just can't imagine having to sit behind a wheel and not be in charge but be alert and in charge at the same time - just in case! :o
It is the What Ifs that concern me about autonomous vehicles.

The unavoidable crash.

The truck will react faster than the "driver" if there is one.

What does the truck do, crash into the petrol tanker or the school bus?

BTW

Class 2 is where the Tesla S is at present

Class 3 vehicles have a driver just in case the system needs manual overide

Class 4 are fully automated and require no driver just in case

Still cannot help thinking that how does the autonomous vehicle initiate Ctrl Alt Del
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm Did anyone see the BBC thing on Silicon Valley the other evening - and the autonomous driving truck?

It is the What Ifs that concern me about autonomous vehicles.

The unavoidable crash.

The truck will react faster than the "driver" if there is one.

What does the truck do, crash into the petrol tanker or the school bus?

BTW

Class 2 is where the Tesla S is at present

Class 3 vehicles have a driver just in case the system needs manual overide

Class 4 are fully automated and require no driver just in case

Still cannot help thinking that how does the autonomous vehicle initiate Ctrl Alt Del
And I'm sure the North Koreans are pondering their options as I type!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

PBT147 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 am Hi, Anyone noticed the speed limit indicator doesn't read the overhead signs on Motorways? apparently its a known issue which should have been explained when I purchased the optional extra. Just wondered if it works for anyone before I request a full refund.
On the assumption that we're all talking about the camera based system, I wouldn't expect it to read text on overhead gantries at all. It can miss signs at the roadside and then again provide info without a sign being there. In Germany recently the display gave advance warnings of narrowing lanes (roadworks/contraflows) and showed this info below but there were no roadsigns. Perhaps there are some links to the satnav.

fullsizeoutput_3d51.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d52.jpeg

Last edited by Bigboyrolo on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Given that large sections of our Motorways are being converted into Smart roads the ability to read the overhead signs must surely be a prerequisite.

My journey home from the PEC via the M1 had two long sections where the overhead signage said 50mph and other signage warned of Average Speed Cameras so if you have a camera based speed limit recognition system it needs to work.

Question, why do many drivers slow down to 50mph on a road where there are Average Speed Cameras?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

..by Porsche admission " the system is no substitute for careful attention on the part of the driver"

The other caveats are also worth reading.....

IMG_0285.PNG

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I don't have this option but find that the Nav shows the prevailing limit when just set to Map. In France recently it also picked up most of the temporary roadwork limits too.