Aftermarket stereo

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
mike0zero

Post by mike0zero »

Has anybody fitted an aftermarket audio system to the Macan.

I have just picked up my Macan SD and did not spec the Bose, heard it against the standard and for me not a huge improvement, might of considered the Burmeister but did not have chance to hear one before ordering the car so left the box unticked.

I would be prepared to spend a decent amount (£2-3K) to get something decent.

Anybody?

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Generally I leave well alone, it could be world of pain with Porsche warranty.

If you're not worried about that then find a good Auto ICE place and change the speaker units behind the grill with the same size but better quality and then put a pre-amp in the spare wheel bay. I'd leave the head unit well alone though as so much other stuff is connected.

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
mike0zero

Post by mike0zero »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the intention would be to replace the speakers and add an amplifier, I would not want to change the head unit as no doubt I would come up against warranty issues etc and not sure I will gain a massive amount.

I would love to add a proper sub to take some load of the speakers but not sure what options there are.

Anybody know of a company that provides this type of service and is familiar with the Macan audio layout.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

There's a company near me (Bedford), Autotronix who do all manner of ICE and hard wired dash cams etc, often on some exotic motors. There are probably similar in every town, they should be the sort of boys you're looking for. It's often the wiring that's the tricky part, in order to keep things neat and invisible.

If you're planning on stripping down the door cards etc best to leave it to the pros. I've got the Bose in mine and the sub lives in the spare wheel space (I have the spare, it fits around it). Shouldn't be difficult to fit a sub in the boot with an uprated amp, bear in mind you'll likely lose money on resale, certainly not gain any. If it's for your own listening pleasure and you're planning on keeping the car for a while, then go for it. Not really a difficult job, you're only uprating the source power and quality once it's left the head unit.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

I would be very wary of going down this route even if you are not contemplating changing the head unit. Adding an amp, plus other bits and changing the speakers is likely to cause warranty issues, particularly on a new car. I changed the head units in my old 996 and 997s but every time they went in for warranty work I had to put the original bits in a box on the pax seat so that the OPC could see they were available. I was lucky as my OPC allowed me to do this without endangering my warranty renewal. However some OPCs take a very strict line.

With regards to the Macan they are likely to take the view of my OPC when enquiring about hardwiring a dash cam. “Ooooooh you can’t do that sir as it will interfere with the car’s intricate wiring system. But you can fit it to the accessory socket..... yada yada”. This is no different than using a piggy back fuse on the acc circuit as there is no break into the system to facilitate the fitting but hey ho....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
mike0zero

Post by mike0zero »

Hi guy's thanks for your replies.

Potentially voiding the warranty would not be the ideal for sound upgrade...maybe I will stick what what I have, TBH played around with the settings and got it sounding pretty good.....next time around I will place greater attention in this area.

Anyway please to say that coming from a BMW 335d the drive is phenomenal, power delivery so smooth and handling sublime a definite improvement over the BMW, I do notice the reduction in pull compared to the BMW but can live with the trade off when the car drives as well as it does.