Connect data usage

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Marra

Post by Marra »

I have just finished the registration process for Connect - is the 7GB data allowance a monthly allowance?

Retired

Post by Retired »

£39 for 30 days or 7gb whichever comes first is my understanding.

Spectacularly bad value even by Porsche standards.

You can buy a '3' 24gb data only SIM valid for up to 12 months from Amazon for about£43.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

As per Retired info its very expensive the Porsche way.
Grab a Data only Sim card Preloaded as below.

One off payment of £30 for a 3 Sim card that gives you 12gb for 12 months.
Or if you can still get them i managed a 24gb sim over 24 months at £30 (Currently dont seem to be available) and i still use that almost 12 months later.

EE also do a similar card which is 24gb over 12 months for around £60.

All above are one off payments and not a monthly contract.

Order a couple as they can be activated whenever you want so when one runs out activate the other one.

I have not even come close to using 24gb in 12 months. Kids are not streaming etc from it but i use it for google maps etc.
GTS 😀
Retired

Post by Retired »

To put the Porsche offer into perspective if you give £48 a month to Vodafone (£10 more )they'll give you 8gb data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts per month.

Oh and they'll chuck in an iPhone 7 for free. ( I know it's not really free the cost being included in the £48)
Marra

Post by Marra »

I'm now very confused - What is it i get free for the first 2 years?
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

As I now understand it (I might be wrong though), you only need to buy an extra data only sim card for your Macan if you wish to stream music, update maps or use the car as a wifi hotspot for your passengers. And for those you can hot spot your car to your mobile, if you have sufficient data package on your smart phone sim card.

The Macan already comes with a built in / integrated sim card and that is sufficient for traffic in the navigation and infotainment. This, as I understand it, will last for the life of your Porsche Connect Services subsrcription of which the first 3 years come free. So yours should last at least ill November 2020.

This is a quote from the Standard Features listed on Porsche website:

+++
Integrated 4G/LTE compatible SIM including data for the Porsche Connect Services (Navigation and Infotainment services ONLY;
music streaming and WiFi not included). Detailed information on Porsche Connect can be found at www.porsche.com/uk/connect.
To use music streaming and WiFi, data packages will become available to purchase in the Connect Store. Alternatively a data-enabled SIM card and a separate valid subscription to a mobile network provider (subject to charge) can be used instead of the Integrated SIM.
+++

So we decided not to bother with an extra sim card since we do not stream music and for map updates, I can hot spot the car to my mobile where I get 8 GB a month.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Marra

Post by Marra »

Thanks Semerka - that's more in line with my understanding. I won't be streaming music either. I also had an email this morning from Vodafone offering to sell me what looks like a tracking service?
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Marra wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 pm Thanks Semerka - that's more in line with my understanding. I won't be streaming music either. I also had an email this morning from Vodafone offering to sell me what looks like a tracking service?
The Vodafone Automotive subscription is needed for the smartphone app called Porsche Car Connect to connect to your Macan. You can use the Porsche Car Connect App to track your Macan, view fuel consumption, tyre pressures, all remotely. ;)

I have not bothered with the Porsche Car Connect subscription and the app, but some people may find it useful. It is good for spying on your spouse when they are driving your Macan without you in it as you can see exactly where the car is. :lol:

The above is a separate service from the Porsche Connect Services that are available via the PCM in your car and free for the first 3 years (I think). You need the pairing code for that to enter in to the PCM to log in. These Porsche Connect Services are configurable on Porsche ID website and now there is a smart phone app called PCM Connect where you can programme your destinations and sync it with the car.
Our stable:
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

You get 12 months subscription to Porsche car connect which allows you to track the car (This is NOT a tracker), see fuel level, and a few other minor functions.
After 12 months you can renew this service for £99 with Vodafone if you wish to continue.
Vodafone offer 2 other services in additional to the above which one is a Tracker (Security Service) and the other is safety services which have to both be taken together and paid for from day one if you want them. Unless you want or need a tracker you dont need to subscribe to these additional services. - https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

If you want a tracker there are also alternatives if you prefer.

Secondly you get 24 Months subscription to Porsche Connect Store (Also know as My Porsche, Connect Plus) which allows you to use the PCM Connect App as well as the website additional services.
After 24 months there is a yearly fee of £119. - https://connect-store.porsche.com/gb/en

You do not need a separate Sim to use any of this as you can Tether from your mobile phone data but i prefer to do this on the purchased car sim as its very cheap to do and i get in the car and go. Ask your OPC for a data only Sim (Usually an EE sim which gives 30 days and around 2gb) to use initially. The have offered these free of charge to me but depends on your OPC.

Porsche have complicated this whole services and naming changes over the last year or so. Once you have used it its easy to work with going forwards.

Hope it makes sense and look forward to the pics on pickup :)
GTS 😀
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Marra wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 am I have just finished the registration process for Connect - is the 7GB data allowance a monthly allowance?
This should answer your original question: :lol:

Data Package (7 GB)
Contract term: to
Every journey in your Porsche is a thrilling experience. It's even better when you have the right soundtrack. There is a 7-GB data package, so you can enjoy your favourite tunes and your passengers can surf the web via the integrated Wifi Hotspot. The package is valid for 30 days.

+++
Our stable: