Connect data usage

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
happy days

Post by happy days »

Semerka wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:01 pm
Marra wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 pm Thanks Semerka - that's more in line with my understanding. I won't be streaming music either. I also had an email this morning from Vodafone offering to sell me what looks like a tracking service?
It is good for spying on your spouse when they are driving your Macan without you in it as you can see exactly where the car is. :lol:
Or just use 'Find my iPhone' ;) ;) ;)
Macan S D
718 S

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

happy days wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 pm
Semerka wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:01 pm
Marra wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 pm Thanks Semerka - that's more in line with my understanding. I won't be streaming music either. I also had an email this morning from Vodafone offering to sell me what looks like a tracking service?
It is good for spying on your spouse when they are driving your Macan without you in it as you can see exactly where the car is. :lol:
Or just use 'Find my iPhone' ;) ;) ;)
That is the cheaper option, I suppose. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Retired

Post by Retired »

You need a data connection, either by using your phone's data via a WiFi connection or by putting a SIM card in the slot if you want to use the Connect + apps (mostly not very interesting) or, IMO more importantly, Real Time Traffic Information and Google to find destinations. These two make make the nav a whole lot better.

Using your phone's data is a bit of a faff as you need a wifi hotspot enabled on said phone. The probably mans launching the hotspot every time you get in the car as unused hotspots on a phone are usually deactivated.

Just put a SIM in the card and it all works without having to do anything.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Retired wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:43 pm You need a data connection, either by using your phone's data via a WiFi connection or by putting a SIM card in the slot if you want to use the Connect + apps (mostly not very interesting) or, IMO more importantly, Real Time Traffic Information and Google to find destinations. These two make make the nav a whole lot better.

Using your phone's data is a bit of a faff as you need a wifi hotspot enabled on said phone. The probably mans launching the hotspot every time you get in the car as unused hotspots on a phone are usually deactivated.

Just put a SIM in the card and it all works without having to do anything.
That's the thing, I do not think that you need to purchase any additional external data sim card that you slot in underneath the PCM screen, if you do not wish to stream music or use the car as a wifi hot spot.
The PCM Apps use the car's built-in sim card (provided the subscription to the Porsche Connect is active).
Only the music streaming and using the car as a wifi hotspot needs an extra data sim card (because of their unpredictable data consumption, I would guess). And I assume that is also why the maps update is also limited to twice a year or something, to control the data consumption for the built-in sim card.

I copied the following paragraph from Porsche's website Build Your Own, under Standard Features:
+++
Integrated 4G/LTE compatible SIM including data for the Porsche Connect Services (Navigation and Infotainment services ONLY;
music streaming and WiFi NOT included). Detailed information on Porsche Connect can be found at www.porsche.com/uk/connect.
To use music streaming and WiFi, data packages will become available to purchase in the Connect Store. Alternatively a data-enabled SIM card and a separate valid subscription to a mobile network provider (subject to charge) can be used instead of the Integrated SIM.
+++

That's how I interpreted it, reading various blobs on Porsche websites. Well, I'll find out soon enough as I am now only running on the built-in sim card, so will see if my understanding is correct.
Last edited by Semerka on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My Turbo is just over a year old and I recently had to put in a new data SIM.

£25 for 12Gb useage over a 12 month period is not bad and I am sure it will be way cheaper than subscribing to Porsches own.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

OK I've done a bit of research.

What I'm about to describe will apply to my new Cayman. It will probably also apply to other 'new' cars or cars past a certain production date / chassis number.

The built in SIM does indeed give you things like RTTI and Google earth. No need for an extra SIM card.

If you pay £39 for 7gb data / 30days that is enabled via the internal SIM and lets you browse the net etc. via the cars wifi hotspot.

If you think that is extortionate you can go and buy a SIM card where you choose and put it in the SIM card slot. If you do this the internal SIM is deactivated and all data requirements, including RTTI etc., are serviced via the external SIM in the SIM card slot.

Getting your own SIM card would seem to be a bit of a no brainer.
Col M

Post by Col M »

Well not sure what happened with my data usage today. Happily added the car to my BT family with 5gb/month used about 1gb updating SEngland & a failure of NEngland*. Then about 1gb Spotify via CarPlay (I really expected that to be on the mobile's SIM) playing with Google earth layer etc.

So had 3gb left at 8:30 this morning. An hour later this was burned through at 100mb/min! I've no idea what would have pulled that load... I'm worried it only stopped because I hit the data ceiling.

*Still there to select to update but is not added to the download figure and can't seem to force a download. Possibly used the 3updates/year with one success and two fails?
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble